Recipes for Rhubarb, Raspberries, or Currants anyone?

4H kids and mom

Cooped Up
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
I've got myself a TON of fresh Rubarb (already washed, cut and frozen), fresh raspberries and fresh currants that I'd loe to use in something. I was thinking a raspberry rhubarb pie or cobbler maybe? And a currant jam? Anybody got any good recipes for these?
big_smile.png

I LOVE rhubarb! It always seems to come into season around my birthday and I always beg for a rhubarb pie instead of a cake, lol. I've started making rhubarb crisps since they're a bit easier than a pie (when time is an issue), and they are mighty tasty, IMHO. And I don't see why you couldn't throw some raspberries in as well!

Rhubarb Crisp
Originally from Gourment Magazine
Makes 4 standard ramekins (can easily double, I usually do)

1 lb. fresh rhubarb, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup old-fashion rolled oats
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted but not hot
Vanilla ice cream (optional)

Directions
Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl combine rhubarb with sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and cinnamon and transfer into four 4-inch individual baking dishes.
In a bowl combine remaining 1 cup of flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, and butter, mixing well. Sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture and bake for 35 minutes until topping is golden brown and rhubarb is tender.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream (optional).

Here's a Strawberry-Rhubarb Buckle recipe from Family Circle that I imagine you could easily replace the strawberries with raspberries -I might even try it myself!

Strawberry-Rhubarb Buckle
Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: at 350 F for 60 minutes

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut up
1/3 cup light-brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 cups rhubarb -fresh chopped or frozen, thawed and drained

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. In large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar and salt. With two knives or pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Remove 1 cup to bowl; stir in brown sugar and cinnamon and reserve for topping.

2. Stir baking powder into remaining flour mixture. In small measuring cup, blend milk, egg and vanilla and stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Spread half of batter in prepared pan. Evenly cover with strawberries and rhubarb. Drop tablespoons of remaining batter on top. Crumble reserved topping over batter.

3. Bake in 350 F oven for 60 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly on wire rack. Run knife around edge; remove side. Serve warm or at room tempture.

Nutrient value per serving:
308 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated), 4 g protein, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 272 mg sodium, 50 mg cholesterol.

I haven't made the Buckle yet, but the Crisp has recieved many rave reviews! Can't wait to see what everyone else offers.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom