Recommend Hen Saddle Pattern, Please

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I've got several girls who need saddles, including one who is getting seriously naked and looking a bit irritated. Can someone recommend a really GOOD pattern for making my own hen saddle -- one that will stay on well with a large rooster on top of his favorite girl?

I am an experience sewer (I used to sew commercially), and don't need an actual paper pattern, just really good measurements and a diagram.

Here's my pattern:

Measurements:
(Double all of this because you'll need two sides)
19.5 centimeters wide
21.5 centimeters from top to inner bottom
24 centimeters from top to lower bottom
9 centimeters from top to first curve
(And I'm just realizing I forget to write down the rest of the measurements. :oops: Sorry that I can't get the rest right now. )

Materials:
Plenty of jean fabric for top and inside
Fleece fabric for bottom
Quarter inch width Stretchy strap for straps

From the edge to the inside pencil line is a half inch. Sew along that line wrong side out. (Don't sew the spot where there is no pencil line.) Once done, cut little slices out of all the corners so the corners aren't fat when turned right side out.

You'll need to sew a strap on through the inside. This stretchy strap is 8-12 inches long. With the pattern wrong side out, have the strap between the two pieces. Have about a half to full inch of strap poking outwards on each middle outwards corner. Sew the seem as is.

20220509_211901.jpg

Once all that is done, turn right side out by way of the hole on top. (The strap should be on the outside now.) Cut a new piece of jean fabric measuring according to the bottom part. It's sorta complicated, but it needs to go inside the saddle and be flat. Again, sew on outside a half inch in. (Be careful to not accidentally see the free part of the straps.)

Sew the top part. Fold it over like in picture below to the fleece side. Put the strap in the folded part and be sure it's moving freely through. See the along the edge of the jean part next to the fleece so that it holds the strap, but don't sew the strap.

20220509_211909.jpg

That's it. Pull the strap to one side to easily fit wing through, and even out once on. ;)

(The inside jean fabric is for added strength, weight, and protection. The fleece bottom is to make in comfier for the hen, and it's easier on the sewing machine. Be careful, it does like to move, so you'll want pins. The stretchy strap is to make it easier to put on the hen, along with it being able to slide side to side.)

I hope that this is readable and understandable. Sorry, again, that I don't have all the measurements. I forgot to right them down. Hopefully this helps!

Back
Top Bottom