Recommendations for Heater Waterer

CIuck

Songster
Jun 3, 2020
Conneticut
This is my first winter with chickens. I am looking for a heated waterer. Our temperatures get down to single digits. I was searching the web for the best water heaters and I learned that you can also have a water base but I dont know if that is the best bet. Does anyone have any recommendations for an good suffisent water bottle for cold temperatures. Thank you so much for all of the help!

I like the deicer that I use... Farm Innovators Aluminum Utility DeIcer

It does NOT break if run dry, it has a built in temperature cube so only runs when you need it to. It keeps the water thawed, but not warm. It is safe to sit on rubber, and is powerful enough to thaw itself out of an ice block after my power has shut off.

I like the deicer that I use... Farm Innovators Aluminum Utility DeIcer

It does NOT break if run dry, it has a built in temperature cube so only runs when you need it to. It keeps the water thawed, but not warm. It is safe to sit on rubber, and is powerful enough to thaw itself out of an ice block after my power has shut off.
Thank you so much! I will check it out.

Thank you so much! I will check it out.
I have 3 base heaters. I have a 5 gallon large waterer with a good sized trough. The base heater works well for the trough. I won't keep the water thawed in the waterer. I also have one outside in the Maine winter and snow. I keep 3 1 Gallon Arizona Ice Tea jugs on that never frozen water there.

You can make one easy. Take 2 large metal bowls. Drill hole on the side. Get a 40-60 watt bulb plug into extension cord run through hole and plug into outlet.Then seal the two pans at the rim with some good glue. Works like a charm and won't melt heavy plastic feeder nor AIT jugs. Will melt Talenato ice cream containers. Good luck. If you look for them on Amazon or other site you will see how they are put together.

I use a tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and the stock tank deicer that is pictured here. It has kept my water thawed down to the -20s F. The tote I am presently using holds 11 gallons of water so I only need to fill it every week or so. Got the tote from Walmart and horizontal nipples from Amazon, and the stock tank deicer from the local feed store.

heater.jpg

I use a heated base (125 watts) with a 2 and a 3 gallon Galvanized waterer.
It has kept water from freezing at -7F.
20191207_092057.jpg

It needs a clean contact between base and waterer for maximum heat transfer.
Shavings, dirt or a feather will hinder heat transfer. GC

Back
Top Bottom