Red colored buds where spurs should be

Dixie Chicks 6

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2023
Hi all,

I just notice that my 5 month old roo is bright red where his spurs would normally grow on both legs. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Upon further investigation I think they did. I have 3 hens and one roo that free range on an acre. His spurs were small but are now missing. He is favoring both legs and you can tell he is in pain. I can’t imagine how this happened. My husband was outside most of the day and didn’t hear any sort of ruckus. Ive confined the flock into a smaller pen Attached to the hen house. It doesn’t appear that they are actively bleeding. Is there anything else I need to do?

I would keep him in a dog crate with food and water for a day or so. Pictures are helpful. My rooster who was older, lost each spur separately and tolerated it well with minimal bleeding. The spur buds can be very tender for a few days.

Ok, so I’ve put him in a very kennel in the attached garage so he is safe from the elements. It’s been very hot here. The girls will stay in their safe enclosure until he is feeling better.
Does anyone have suggestions as to how this could have happened? Anything would be helpful. I’m new to all of this. Thank you so much!

Ok, so I’ve put him in a very kennel in the attached garage so he is safe from the elements. It’s been very hot here. The girls will stay in their safe enclosure until he is feeling better.
Does anyone have suggestions as to how this could have happened? Anything would be helpful. I’m new to all of this. Thank you so much!
Can you post some photos?

Back
Top Bottom