Red thing in poop

bittyflock

Chirping
Apr 29, 2019
San Rafael
Hi, this isn’t an emergency (hopefully), but when I let my 2 girls out to free range this afternoon one of them had a big, slightly wet poop with a roundish red slug shaped thing sitting on top. I looked at possible worms that this might be but it was not long but more round/oval in shape and slightly tapered at both ends more like a slug. I poked it with a skewer and it was squishy like a worm but also seemed like it could have come from inside of her. She is healthy with a bright red comb, normal seeming crop and good appetite. Any clue what this is? Thank you!

Attachments

• 77FA5FA3-A514-408F-8FDD-78139370A0CB.jpeg
    77FA5FA3-A514-408F-8FDD-78139370A0CB.jpeg
    586.3 KB · Views: 22
They eat organic layer pellets and quite a lot of greens. They get some seed/scratch mix and usually mealworms, which I’ve not had on hand for a few weeks. And the occasional plain yogurt.

It's likely intestinal lining, it sheds out out of chickens gut every few weeks.
Good to hear this is hopefully normal! It makes sense as the thing was not wiggly or seemingly alive so I hope that’s all it was. But it begs the question - how have I not noticed this before?? I’ve had hens for 5 yrs and this one for about 2. Hopefully I’m not that oblivious!! :bow

Good to hear this is hopefully normal! It makes sense as the thing was not wiggly or seemingly alive so I hope that’s all it was. But it begs the question - how have I not noticed this before?? I’ve had hens for 5 yrs and this one for about 2. Hopefully I’m not that oblivious!! :bow
I have a sneaking suspicion they eat it. But it's equally not so noticeable as that. It turns dark rather quickly.

Back
Top Bottom