Redesigned coop and run

Sinton4616

Chirping
Jan 8, 2023
Sinton, TX
After much consideration and Feeback, think I've come up with a better coop for South Texas weather.
Overall 11 foot by 18 foot, giving 198 sq. ft. Plenty of room for 8 hens.
5 1/2 foot by 8 foot, U-shaped coop, open on the south side. Coop will have ventilation on top and bottom where I can close all in the winter. For the tops, will be hinged on the outside of the coop to prevent rain from coming in.
Rest of run is wide open with HW cloth and predator apron.
Roof is 12foot tin.
I plan on incorperating a ladder root bars that I can raise to clean under when needed.
For the brutal sun in the south and west, I will put a shade cloth up to provide some protection.

Rough plan is below.

Attachments

• open_air_coop.jpeg
    open_air_coop.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 28
After much consideration and Feeback, think I've come up with a better coop for South Texas weather.
Overall 11 foot by 18 foot, giving 198 sq. ft. Plenty of room for 8 hens.
5 1/2 foot by 8 foot, U-shaped coop, open on the south side. Coop will have ventilation on top and bottom where I can close all in the winter. For the tops, will be hinged on the outside of the coop to prevent rain from coming in.
Rest of run is wide open with HW cloth and predator apron.
Roof is 12foot tin.
I plan on incorperating a ladder root bars that I can raise to clean under when needed.
For the brutal sun in the south and west, I will put a shade cloth up to provide some protection.

Rough plan is below.
Take plenty of pictures so you can write a construction article when the coop is finished.:D

Back
Top Bottom