Reel-Style co-op door opener sought.

Chicken Coop Defender is one that comes to mind. You have to make the door yourself. The Defender just raises and lowers it. The door has to be made in such a way,,,, to prevent a raccoon from lifting it open. Not very difficult, but I thought I would mention that.
Picture below is of it. It is from Chewy website.. A reputable seller.
image_2023-12-03_015426830.png

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Just wanted to add this. These reel types are not great horsepower models. The suggested weight of door is about 2 pounds. If your door is somewhat heavier,,, there is a simple solution as well. You would have to construct a counterweight system. This way, your reel lifts less weight in the service.
If you have any questions about this counterweight system, I can explain further.

Just wanted to add this. These reel types are not great horsepower models. The suggested weight of door is about 2 pounds. If your door is somewhat heavier,,, there is a simple solution as well. You would have to construct a counterweight system. This way, your reel lifts less weight in the service.
If you have any questions about this counterweight system, I can explain further.
Thank you, I’m good.

If the issue is height-related, our doors swing open for minimal footprint. We have a small, standard, and large turkey doors. The outside frame dimensions of the small door is just 12 1/8" wide by 13 1/4" tall, with a 4 1/2" box above it (houses the motor). I'm not sure you'll find smaller than that. And you get get it to swing left or right. Here is the link to the small right-side hinge door: https://chickendoors.com/product/small-right-pullet-shut-door/

Does anyone know of a manufactured reel-style coop door opener?
Just throwing this into the mix. It's a door I made that uses a Power Wheels kids ride on toy motor and gears. It locks and has a safety feature that if the line ever breaks (not likely since it is stainless steal wire rope.), the door is stopped from crashing down. The door itself weight 6 lbs, and made of 3/4" plywood. So it is very strong. I know this most likely not what you want but maybe you will get some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom