Refrigerator Eggs

MamaBelle5

Songster
Jun 23, 2020
Pennsylvania
We finally decided! We are going to try to hatch some eggs. I ordered the incubator from TSC that everyone's been raving about. I've been reading all of the beginners to incubating threads I can (though I'll retain it better when I'm actually doing it).

We store our eggs in the fridge because with all the moisture in the air here and snow, I never really trust that they don't get wet and lose the bloom when we're bringing them in. I believe they're fertilized (we had 4 roos to 5 hens). They've been in the fridge for less than 2 weeks. Are they good to use? Is there a way I can check?

Thank you!!

I would rather use fresh eggs then fridge eggs if I could, but I have hatched from the fridge before. The fresher the better. I would candle them and see how big the aircell is.

I would rather use fresh eggs then fridge eggs if I could, but I have hatched from the fridge before. The fresher the better. I would candle them and see how big the aircell is.
I could wait and use the fresh eggs, but we just got rid of 2 of our EE roosters, and they were beautiful birds, I'd like to use their fertilized eggs. If we decide to use them, should I take them out of the fridge and let them set to room temperature? Do I have to be worried about bacteria growth?

I don't currently have roosters (I do but they are not old enough.) But I did in some roosters not quite 3 weeks ago, I set some eggs, I will see if any are fertile.

I could wait and use the fresh eggs, but we just got rid of 2 of our EE roosters

The hen keeps the roosters sperm for something like 4 weeks after he is gone. Fresh eggs would be better with the bloom on.

If we decide to use them, should I take them out of the fridge and let them set to room temperature?

Let them sit out for awhile so the inside of the egg is room temp before sticking them in.

Do I have to be worried about bacteria growth?

Every incubator is a breeding ground for bacteria. You said your incubator is new but I would still clean it.

I've hatched eggs from the fridge, and old ones too. Give it a go. Yes, let them warm up overnight and put them in the incubator in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom