Regular coop or somewhere else

bmanty

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2017
Fergus Falls MN
I have 15 meat birds and 15 layer babies I ordered, I have 2 ducks and 7 chickens in my coop now. I plan to process meat birds between 6 to 10 weeks or sooner depending on size, are they ok to hang in the coop for that time being with the layers or should I get a tractor or outdoor pen for them when I move them out of the brooder? I know the coop will be crowded with 20 plus layers, but I need to have the meat birds somewhere in the mean time...my coop is 10x10 or 10x8 I believe so I will be making adjustments and up my cleaning. I have had close to 20 layers in there before and did fine but adding the meat birds for a while will be tough. just looking for best options.

If by "meat birds" you mean Cornish X then no. After the initial baby stage they need different management practices.

A Cornish X will eat itself to death free-feeding like a layer.

A layer will not grow correctly on tightly-restricted feed like a Cornish X.

If by "meat birds" you mean Cornish X then no. After the initial baby stage they need different management practices.

A Cornish X will eat itself to death free-feeding like a layer.

A layer will not grow correctly on tightly-restricted feed like a Cornish X.
Ok. Good to know, thank you, ive all ready noticed ten days on the differences in food co
nsumption

Back
Top Bottom