Rehoming 3-month old Roo with Flock of 40 Hens

My Three Chicks

Crowing
May 3, 2021
Seattle, WA
Hi everyone. I brought home 3 baby chicks three months ago (sold as female) but unfortunately one of my sweet babies turned out to be a rooster. I have been desperately trying to find him a good home. And I think I finally found one! It's with a flock of 40 hens who are raised for eggs. But the family are happy to take him in and keep him with the girls as a pet/protector.

He is a big, strong, confident, and proud roo. He's a big crower too! But am wondering since he's still young and not full size (and not mating yet), if he will get attacked/picked on by the hens. What is your experience? (Luckily the new family only has one rooster currently and he's only 2 months old). Should I hold on to him for a few more weeks for him to mature a little longer? I just don't want to miss this opportunity to rehome him since it has been so difficult to find.

Thank you for your input.

Velvet and Comet 12 weeks.jpg
Velvet 12 weeks.jpg

I would just rehome him to the new place now.

Some people like to quarantine new chickens for 30 days or more, to make sure the new chicken isn't carrying any diseases-- if they do that, he'll be a month older before they even start introducing him to the hens.

Whether they quarantine him or not, they might want to arrange a look-no-touch setup for a few weeks (wire cage or crate inside the chicken pen would probably work well.) This is a good way to introduce a chicken to a flock, because they get used to each other, but no-one gets hurt. Of course he will also be getting older while this is happening.

And if they're got a 2 month old cockerel, they are already dealing with chickens of different ages, so adding one more age shouldn't be a big deal.

I would just rehome him to the new place now.

Some people like to quarantine new chickens for 30 days or more, to make sure the new chicken isn't carrying any diseases-- if they do that, he'll be a month older before they even start introducing him to the hens.

Whether they quarantine him or not, they might want to arrange a look-no-touch setup for a few weeks (wire cage or crate inside the chicken pen would probably work well.) This is a good way to introduce a chicken to a flock, because they get used to each other, but no-one gets hurt. Of course he will also be getting older while this is happening.

And if they're got a 2 month old cockerel, they are already dealing with chickens of different ages, so adding one more age shouldn't be a big deal.
Thanks for the reply NatJ. In talking to the family, they said they've never had a problem bringing in new chickens so it sounds like they will just drop him in the middle of it from day one. There set-up is that the chickens free range all day in a big yard. Then they have a bunch of different coops they all go into on their own whenever they want. So there does seem to be a lot of hiding places to get away if needed. Do you still think it's ok to bring him now rather than waiting a bit?

Thanks for the reply NatJ. In talking to the family, they said they've never had a problem bringing in new chickens so it sounds like they will just drop him in the middle of it from day one. There set-up is that the chickens free range all day in a big yard. Then they have a bunch of different coops they all go into on their own whenever they want. So there does seem to be a lot of hiding places to get away if needed. Do you still think it's ok to bring him now rather than waiting a bit?
Yes, that sounds fine.

Lots of space and places to hide can avoid many problems!

Back
Top Bottom