Rehoming a young roo - timing during integration

Feb 15, 2022
I’m trying to decide if its a good time to rehome my little guy.
I have 4 two month old chicks that I’m working on integrating into a flock of 4 year old hens. Turns out 1 (maybe 2) of my chicks is a roo. One has definitely found his voice. Unfortunately, I can’t have Roos in my city so I have to rehome him. Should I wait until they are integrated? I’ll apologize profusely to the neighbor! OR should I pull him out now? I may even have to pull another- he just hasn’t found his voice yet. My concern is then I will be integrating 2 little hens into a a flock of 4 aggressive hens.

Attachments

• IMG_9378.jpeg
    IMG_9378.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 18
I’m trying to decide if its a good time to rehome my little guy.
I have 4 two month old chicks that I’m working on integrating into a flock of 4 year old hens. Turns out 1 (maybe 2) of my chicks is a roo. One has definitely found his voice. Unfortunately, I can’t have Roos in my city so I have to rehome him. Should I wait until they are integrated? I’ll apologize profusely to the neighbor! OR should I pull him out now? I may even have to pull another- he just hasn’t found his voice yet. My concern is then I will be integrating 2 little hens into a a flock of 4 aggressive hens.
How about doing it the oher way round by introducing just one of the adult hens to the group of youngsters and - after some time has passed - another one so they will be an established flock of their own when finally entering the territory of the remaining two adults.

How about doing it the oher way round by introducing just one of the adult hens to the group of youngsters and - after some time has passed - another one so they will be an established flock of their own when finally entering the territory of the remaining two adults.
I put them in with the nicest hen and used her as an ambassador, but the lowest of the original pecking order is dead set on not being at the bottom again… which is expected

Back
Top Bottom