rehoming extra roosters

jeannieo

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Collinsville, CT
at what age is it appropriate to rehome roosters? They are about 12 weeks old. this is the first time I have had to do this and I don't want to but I know I have to. I had 8 older standard size hens, 2 banty roos, and 3 banty hens. Everyone was getting along relatively well. then a friend gave me 12 babies and it turns out that at least 5 and maybe 6 of them are roos. We are vegetarian so don't eat our friends (just their unborn babies
lau.gif
) I'd like to keep at least two of the "teenagers" which means rehoming at least 3 of them. I will be building a new pen for the banties because "Sidney" the alpha rooster is a banty and I don't think he should have to try and re-establish himself as the cock of the walk. I don't even know if he could, he is a silkie and pretty small but fierce when it comes to protecting his 3 little hens. so just counting standard size hens, I will have fourteen. How many roosters could I have with that many hens? and back to my original question, what age can I rehome? The teenaged boys are getting pretty randy and raising a fair amount of hell with the teenaged girls which is what teenaged boys do with teenaged girls! I hope this makes sense and someone can help me.
frow.gif
D.gif

I am trying to rehome 4 12 weekold welsummer roos. I wish you luck with it. So far I am having a hard time finding homes for mine. They are so darling and I am loving listening to them learning to crow. I hate to see them go.

One roo to 14 hens would be a good ratio. You could try to keep 2 if you wish, and watch how the pecking order sorts itself out. 12 weeks is a good time for butchering, up to 16 to 18 weeks, so you should have no trouble finding frying pan type homes for them. If this is a problem for you, I don't know what to tell you.

One rooster for ever 10-15 hens is typically the norm for some backyard flocks. In terms of age, if you find someone who will take them it doesn't matter what age they are.
smile.png
Of course, the problem is finding someone who will take them. You could try posting flyers or ads at your local feed store, as well as on Craigslist in your city's section. I've had success online on CL.

I agree with the other posts. I rehomed a 14 week old Roo. The people that took him was looking for a new Roo for their flock. Maybe try posting on Craigslist.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom