Reintroducing Sir Waddles

Lovely_Ladies

Chirping
Jun 18, 2020
Hey everyone I have some questions regarding my beloved rooster Sir Waddles bare with me as this will be a long post in order to explain everything
I had an existing flock of 5 hens & a rooster. The rooster i had was aggressive and mean. as a new chicken tender (lol) I think that I might have been taken advantage of and he was given to me by someone who already knew that he was aggressive. over a one year period He became more dominant and aggressive towards the hens and humans no matter how much love & kindness i showed him.
He fertiled 3 eggs & the chicks turned out 2 be one rooster 2 hens. The daddy rooster I knew was already an aggressive rooster who i felt most definitely was going to kill Sir Waddles. Sir Waddles was raised by my silky hen & integrated into the flock beautifully. Sir Waddles daddy was removed and is no longer with us.
One day one of my hens was injured. Sir waddles who is now a rooster I believe was trying to mate with her. we had a feeder, on the top of the feeder it had a metal bar that spun around to throw the chickens off if they were standing on it and trying to poop in the food.
Although we did not see this happen I believe my hen had her head under the bar eating and Sir Waddles tried to mate w her which caused her to be startled leading to her jumping up quickly w him on her back. we found her with a gash on her head which seem to coincide with the size of the bar. we brought injured hen into the house I admit more than likely I made a mistake here I kept her in a kennel and after two or three days I felt that she was better she was not bleeding and she was walking around and acting quite normal we took her out to put her back into the run w/o kennel/cage ( i know now this was a mistake)
Sir waddles immediately attacked her we thought that maybe it was because she still had a scab on her head so we brought her back in the house to let her heal again as she had been attacked/injured and terrified.
Molt season came in right after that incident. all the hens were molting and i was scared the rooster would go after the hen (to attack or mate) who was now healed & molting. so I continue to keep her separated inside kennel inside the house. After what seemed like eternity we attempted to put her back into the run with the hens. Again mistakenly thinking all would be okay. The older hens and the new hens had no issues with her and they had resumed their regular behavior. the rooster again attacked her we removed her again not knowing at the time that we should remove the aggressor. this became another setback to the re-introduction of the hen.
Now it had become winter. we could not integrate her with subzero temperatures so the hen continue to stay in the house throughout the winter.
spring came we attempted to re-integrate her this time we put her in a dog kennel inside the run with the rooster and hens we did think that after two or three days she would be OK.
we let her out and sadly Sir waddles ran after her in an attempt at what looked to me like he was trying to flog her. we supervised & I decided it was time to remove Sir Waddles so needless to say he went into rooster jail in a very large dog kennel inside the barn. he was separated from the hens… all of them.
Today we brought the kennel into the enclosed run, all hens are in there and I have watched their behavior the injured hen which by the way is still missing some shoulder feathers and is still trying to grow in tailfeathers went over to Sir waddles and immediately he punked her off while inside the kennel inside the enclosed run. A little while later I saw her over by him pecking around on the ground.
I know that we have to keep him in the kennel inside the enclosed run for at least a minimum of 1 to 2 days I will keep supervising this situation.
How many days do you think I should keep him in the kennel?
Should we file down just sharp tips of his spurs a little so that they are dull in an effort to keep him from scratch/injuring this hen?
Are there any other suggestions of how to go about this.
I would really like to get this rooster out of the barn so that he can free range and enjoy life as a chicken should.
He is very mild tempered to everyone and all other hens. I love this beautiful little guy. I want to keep him. And I want them all to get along. I want to do this the right way this time. Thank you for listening to this very long story. I’m looking forward to any/all input anyone has to say.

Hey old hen likes dogs. I hope that is not what things will come too. I love them both. Thank you for your response
I've had rooster develop a dislike to certain hens. Only they know why. Some roosters just want what they have and any other hen is an intruder. I wish you luck. Sometimes keeping one penned for a longer amount of time works. Sometimes the issues get worked out through a fence. You may need to rotate who's out for a while.

I've had rooster develop a dislike to certain hens. Only they know why. Some roosters just want what they have and any other hen is an intruder. I wish you luck. Sometimes keeping one penned for a longer amount of time works. Sometimes the issues get worked out through a fence. You may need to rotate who's out for a while.
I hope they work it out. Do you think it’s because she’s the mother of his favorite hen?? Is that a possibility?

They were all friends. Then she was injured and that was it. He didn’t want her around. It’s so hard to understand. They are such social creatures. I’ll keep him penned up a little longer. I got him out and carried him all around the run and sat in there holding him for a lil while today. The hens walked back & forth looking at us and had a lot to say about it too. I just moved him back into the barn for the night. He’s such a nice & loving chicken to me & the family.

I guess your right. Only they know why. Thank you again for responding. Fingers crossed.

The instinct of a chicken seems to be to drive out or kill any unwell or odd acting member. I'm sure it's a survival instinct as there are illnesses that can kill the whole flock, and a slow bird could attract the attention of predators. So you are working against an instinct.

Hard to say how much a chicken remembers who they are related to. I do know some hens seem to remember those they raised, and they females often stick together.

Back
Top Bottom