Remaining guinea pig food ok for chicken treat?

Britcheflee

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Kids have two guinea pigs - for information I signed up on a guinea pig site and was promptly chastised for not feeding them the right food - I guess the fancy stuff I bought from Wal Mart with all the corn, coloured bits of stuff etc is 'unsuitable' for guinea pigs - they might choke on it, it is too fatty etc etc.......(actually I posted a picture of the new cage I made them and it was deleted because it showed this dreadful food)....
roll.png

Anyway, went and got the right food and so now have this bag of stuff left over.
I am assuming that the less fastidious chickens would happily eat this up? Cant imagine it has anything in it that would be bad for them or do you feel otherwise?
I know chicken folk can get a bit 'crazy' about their birds but I think some guinea pig folk have you beat:lol:

Lee

Chickens can eat just about anything, so the guinea pig feed certainly won't hurt them. I am a little confused about the "right feed" for guinea pigs. I have never heard of a guinea pig choking on anything. I used to feed mine rabbit pellets pus some occasional greens. When I worked at the pet shop we fed them rabbit pellets there too. The guinea pigs did just fine on the rabbit feed.

I am sure you are right...however, I guess you get the occasional fanatic about these things - oh well.

Lee

Well let me tell you that when we got rid of our 2 guinea pigs. I had about 5 pounds of that "vile" food also and the chickens had NOOOOOOO complaints when I tossed it across the fence LOL. Nobody perished either. Give it to them and then get ready for them to be on the lookout for more.

Geez what site did you go to. lol I bookmarked a couple of them when my kids got their guinea pigs but don't remember reading anything like that on any of them. I switched to the plains gp pellets a little while ago because of the cost factor and I thought I was being cheap by not still buying the "loaded" food. I think it would be fine for the chickens but I think it would be just as fine for the gp. Have you ever been bit by one? I don't think they would have a problem corn or other dried vegtables. Just my own unprofessional opinion.
smile.png

Go ahead and feed it to your birds! My chickens love the "fines" left in the bottom of the bag of rabbit pellets that my 2 bunnies don't eat.

Back
Top Bottom