Rent a rooster.

If I wanted to breed specific hens I have, how would I go about that?...are there people out there that will rent or loan out a rooster of specific breeds for that purpose or how is that normally handled?

People do not usually rent roosters.

People who are allowed to have roosters will usually raise one from a chick, or buy an adult one, but in either case they expect to just keep the rooster for quite a while. When they do not want the rooster any longer, they either sell him or butcher him (unless he already got killed by a predator or died of a disease or something like that).

For people who are not allowed to have a rooster, the most common solution is to buy chicks, or to buy fertile eggs and then hatch them.

Buy fertile hatching eggs.
Why get a stud when chicken “embryo donors” are safer, cheaper, and more legal?
DAE1D495-705A-46DA-898D-C865BB4A795E.jpeg

Although the Rent A Rooster model doesn't work, it is an interesting concept and I have joked with friends about this before. The risk of disease is too much for me to want to try to do something like this, it is much safer to just buy day old chicks, or get fertile eggs and hatch your own.

One way that could work, would be if you found a pullet you really wanted from a breeder, work with them on what it would cost for them to keep it a bit longer and have it in with a rooster. Then you could bring it home, collect the eggs for 2 to 4 weeks and pop them in an incubator. It's not exactly what you are going after, and you would still need to quarantine the chicken you buy, plus you still have the risk of bringing in a disease. Even if the chicken you bring in is immune to something, they can still carry it and pass it on to your flock, who may or may not be able to fight it off. I was joking with a local breeder about chicken board and stud fees like they do for horses...

The risk, logistics, and the fact that chickens have minds of their own makes your request very challenging.

Although the Rent A Rooster model doesn't work, it is an interesting concept and I have joked with friends about this before. The risk of disease is too much for me to want to try to do something like this, it is much safer to just buy day old chicks, or get fertile eggs and hatch your own.

One way that could work, would be if you found a pullet you really wanted from a breeder, work with them on what it would cost for them to keep it a bit longer and have it in with a rooster. Then you could bring it home, collect the eggs for 2 to 4 weeks and pop them in an incubator. It's not exactly what you are going after, and you would still need to quarantine the chicken you buy, plus you still have the risk of bringing in a disease. Even if the chicken you bring in is immune to something, they can still carry it and pass it on to your flock, who may or may not be able to fight it off. I was joking with a local breeder about chicken board and stud fees like they do for horses...

The risk, logistics, and the fact that chickens have minds of their own makes your request very challenging.
The stress of moving the bird may result in very few if any eggs being laid before its 'too late' fertility wise

I cant own roosters, but i know people who will take the roosters for their flocks.
Thats why i buy fertilized hatching eggs and hatch them.

Ok so nobody does this because there's no way around the obvious drawback. Has anyone ever figured out how to get a rooster to not crow? What if you spray them with the water hose every time they do? Will they learn and stop doing it? I taught the cat not to shred the curtains like that. Chickens are pretty smart, at least smarter than I thought they'd be.

Ok so nobody does this because there's no way around the obvious drawback. Has anyone ever figured out how to get a rooster to not crow? What if you spray them with the water hose every time they do? Will they learn and stop doing it? I taught the cat not to shred the curtains like that. Chickens are pretty smart, at least smarter than I thought they'd be.
Not really it's an instinct and collars don't work, just suffocate.
The cat is still sharpening its claws, an instinct, just not on the drapes. She/he just found an acceptable sharpening target.

Back
Top Bottom