Replacement of 2-D battery fence charger w/electric one, how to do it?

crazy huhn

Songster
May 24, 2008
I would like to replace my current 2-D battery fence charger with an electric one (I already have one). The current one is placed right next to the coop, but an electric one is supposed to be weather proof in or at the house, which is not far but far enough from the coop. If it needs to be in the house, how do people ground it or get the power out to the coop? If I plug it in the electrical outlet on my patio, how do I make sure, that my puppy will not touch the wire or chew the cord?
Should I stay with the 2- D battery one and just keep replacing batteries about once a month, install the electrical one or would you recommend even a solar fence charger? The hot wire is only around the bottom of my two coops to prevent digging predators to dig in and one coop has a nice deck, so it is around that one, too, to keep raccoons etc. out. So far the 2-D one has done its job (we know it, not only guess), but maybe I am paranoid and want it even safer as we have a big canyon behind the house. Any input is highly appreciated, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom