Replacing my roo? Should I butcher? Lost crow.

Should I butcher my EE? If not what should I do with him? (Comment)

• Butcher.

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Don't butcher. (Explain what I can do instead in comments.)

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
Hey BYC! I have recently decided to replace my current rooster in my flock. He is a black EE rooster that is around 2 1/2 years old (or at least that's what I was told. He recently lost his crow for whatever reason but other than that he seems really healthy. I have already had quite a few batches of chicks from him (some that I'm keeping) and now I think it's time to get some new bloodlines going. My hens are a few different breeds. I have 2 EE, 3 BR and 2 silkies. I am also raising up 3 welsummer pullets and a couple more EE's. Anyways.... I will be getting a standard size dark brahma rooster in a week or so. He will be my replacement for my EE rooster. My question is... what should I do with my EE rooster? Should I butcher him? He has no crow and I have tried to figure out what has caused this and can't get an answer
... I can't rehome a rooster when I know he has a health issue... what do I do with him? I have tried to figure out his issue but have hit a bunch of dead ends. :/ The only option I seem to have is butchering him. What are y'alls thoughts?
aww poor boy, I’d take him 🤣 but I have one and I’m suspecting my 2 RSL chicks are Roos. The humane society might take him if you don’t wanna kill him

Im not a expert with this, but if something is wrong chances are people will not.
People want to raise livestock and refuse to deal with the consequences of raising livestock. Flock or herd animals are not a cat or dog, people refuse to see it that way. Even if they do often times they want to put human emotions or characteristics on animals that simply do not exist. These animals will often sacrifice the weakest members in order for the stronger numbers to survive.

People want to raise livestock and refuse to deal with the consequences of raising livestock. Flock or herd animals are not a cat or dog, people refuse to see it that way. Even if they do often times they want to put human emotions or characteristics on animals that simply do not exist. These animals will often sacrifice the weakest members in order for the stronger numbers to survive.
Yep. I personally would want to know what is wrong before even taking it. If someone said “somethings wrong, unsure what” i wouldnt be very inclined. Glad hes doing better though

Back
Top Bottom