Rescue dog drama

Glad he’s getting better. Both of my dogs are rescues and I love them to death.

Attachments

• 5314B3BB-A0DD-4B19-A967-35A33DF4295C.jpeg
    5314B3BB-A0DD-4B19-A967-35A33DF4295C.jpeg
    546.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3CB73022-BB24-4158-A221-3AA892B7184B.png
    3CB73022-BB24-4158-A221-3AA892B7184B.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
I have been trying to figure out why George, who has been happily living here for three weeks, is suddenly having anxiety issues. I took off his new rabies tag because I thought the constant jingling might be annoying my poor blind boy. That didn't seem to help.

The problem, I think, is my house chicken. Dottie is in the middle of a molt that throws feathers all over her kennel and beyond. George -- who pretty much ignored her -- is quite interested in her now, and she is a bit peckish due to the molt.

Although he rarely barks, when he does, it's by her kennel. He walks up, wags his tail, then woofs. He puts his face up to the kennel, and I'm guessing he's been pecked and doesn't realize she is contained. When he's been racing around the table, it's the table in the same room as her kennel.

I've spent some time today getting him to sit quietly by her kennel, feeding him treats and praising him for being quiet. I sure hope this works. He is a great dog, but she is my Dottie. I don't want to have to choose, but he has gone from a happy, outgoing boy to a nervous, pacing guy.

It kind of feels like that old saying: No good deed goes unpunished.

I'm sure you're right and its a change in smell that has him confused. It sounds like you have a good plan. If you're comfortable maybe you could let him sniff and touch her. Maybe wait till after she's done molting and in a better mood. :)

Update: The medicine seems to be working. Initially, nothing --except it made him vomit frothy stuff a couple of times. Today, for the first time since his "mania" started, he was calm enough to play with toys and with my crazy terrier. He's almost his old, chill self.

And, Dottie's molt is winding down, so maybe I can take him off the meds before too awful long. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I will keep the non-medical options in mind; I rarely take any prescription meds myself and would prefer he not have to either.

Thanks for asking. George is doing much better, but I'm still a long way from letting Dottie run free through the house with him around. He still gets a bit worked up when I'm trying to clean her "house" and barks a bit.

I started to take him off the meds; he still paces but it's not manic. However, I will be having out-of-state company for the weekend, so I decided to leave him on the meds until everyone leaves again. Just in case all the new sounds and smells stress him.

He and Dinah have become great friends. They wrestle and chase each other around in the yard. Well, actually, Dinah races around like a lunatic, making big figure eights around him. George waits fairly patiently, then chases after her when she's close to him in her endless orbits. Things are pretty good!

Back
Top Bottom