Respiratory Distress?

I'm wondering if she had something lodged in her trachea, and she was finally able to dislodge it? Sometimes, when they've swallowed something large or irregularly shaped, you can give a piece of balled up bread...this will "grab" the object and push it on through. In any event, I'm glad your girl is better. Good idea to keep her isolated in case it IS a respiratory illness.

Today the hen is not much changed. All her body functions are normal. Droppings, eggs etc. She eats, drinks and is alert. Her voice is hoarse.

I've review the major respiratory diseases and their symptoms. None match. I'm going with aspiration of food or some other obstruction in the trachea theory.

We kept her in the crate yesterday and last night, and turned her out with the other girls this morning.

Is there anything available over the counter that might be beneficial to her? What do you give a chicken for a sore throat:) Hebal tea?

My hen has made a full recovery, and is big and noisy as ever. But now I have another problem. She prefers to lay her eggs in the dog crate in the garage! She stands out side the garage door and LOUDLY demands to be let inside.

yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

Glad to hear she is better!

Glad to hear she is better. She was probably sore after the event. Could even have been an inhaled gnat that bit her in the windpipe...lots of them around these days.
wink.png

If it happens again, apple cider vinegar in her water may soothe the trachea even though she swallows to her esophagus, because it is aromatic.

( 1 Tbsp in a gallon of water)

Oh and the egg thing is a bid for attention- she must have enjoyed her time with you, Maybe she needs a door on her nesting box!
lol.png

Be sure you read this thread, scroll down to the part about Vick's Vapo Rub.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5023

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom