Respiratory Illness or dust intolerance

carrshe3

Hatching
May 10, 2021
So I have what I was told to be a Sumatra chicken. It does look exactly like the pictures I've seen online. It about 9 months old give or take a few weeks. Does anyone know if they are more sensitive to feed dust? I've had this chicken since March and has been super healthy, last night I found her on the floor of the coop under the roost, eyes were kinda swollen and I notice a bit of fluid from the 1 eye and what sounded to be rattling in her breath. She of course perked up and got stressed when I moved to to the isolate coop for the night. The only thing that has changed was our feed just this week, it is from a mill and seems to be extremely fine and leaves a lot of dust on the coop floor. I'm was wondering since she is more of a show-style bird could they be more sensitive to the dust? I added VetRX to her water bowl this morning in the hope to help stop whatever may be going on.
Diet and Living area
Up until Wednesday, they would get free choice of 16 or 17 percent layer crumbles and a Henhouse blend with pea, soybeans, seed, and some other things. They get free choice of oyster shell or crushed eggshell, mill worms a few times a week, and free-range in the evening most days if the weather is good and we are home. We have a lot of hawks. On Wednesday, they finished a mix of their old food and the new feed which was bought from a grain mill and is their own made chicken feed, it has oats, corn, minerals and I think they said a soybean. It is said to be 19 percent protein. It was neither pellet or layer but more like powder flakes, the only chunk about it was some corn pieces. We use a tube feeder so this making alot of dust on the coop floor where there are picking through for any larger pieces of corn. if I throw it out on the ground in their run. They will eat everything, in the tube they pick through it. I really hope there is something I can do to help, I have not noticed anything previous she hope right up on the top run almost every night until last night.

Attachments

• IMG_20210324_135528961_4.jpg
    IMG_20210324_135528961_4.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 5
Thank you, my concern was also due to her being lethargic and I think I may have heard a bit of a rattle so I was thinking respiratory.

Back
Top Bottom