Respiratory illnesses (?)

clickchicks

Songster
Jun 6, 2020
Texas
Curious to hear what those more experienced think of this situation.

A couple of weeks ago I was posting about a sick chick. In the end, I think it was coccidiosis which was treated for and the chick is doing much better. While all of that was going on, I noticed all of the chicks were starting to sneeze. When I first noticed the sneezing, their bedding was puppy pads and paper towels. I though maybe the puppy pads had ammonia in them (apparently that's common to attract puppies to them) and switched to shavings (aspen) per the recommendation of others here.

A few days after noticing the chicks sneezing I started observing my adult birds sneezing. At this point the chicks had zero contact with my adult birds, were in a brooder inside my home in an area where no other birds had ever been, and I was aggressively trying to limit cross contamination via washing hands and changing shoes/clothing whenever I would switch between the two.

I got scared so I had a blood test rest run for mycoplasmosis... got the results back today, and I guess thankfully it was negative.

But they are all still sneezing! All 3 chicks and all 3 adult hens. The chicks have been moved to a brooder in my garage and are still on the aspen shavings. The adult birds are in their normal coop/run area which is a mix of sand (in the coop), natural dirt/soil/leaf litter, and hay left over from winter. The brooder is 2x4 with lots of ventilation (top and front are all hardware cloth). The adult coop is 8x8 (also lots of ventilation, way way more than 1sqft per bird) and the run is a fenced in area that's completely open.

No one has any other symptoms and seems otherwise healthy. But this has been going on for 2 weeks now with no real change in how often they are sneezing. The vet who did the blood draw for me recommended to just leave it alone and let it run its course, unless I notice more serious symptoms.

Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom