Respiratory issues

TheHealingPlace

Hatching
Nov 5, 2022
Hi All. So happy to be here. First time chicken owner of 3 Rhode Island Red Girls. Love them so. Miss Intense started gasping for air today, placing her beak up high, and struggling pretty bad. I looked into everything online I could find. After many things were ruled out it appears she has a respiratory inf, and of course we’re here in Ca and they don’t allow us to get antibiotics anymore. I’m more Holistic based but will use them if I have to of course.

I have her now in my bedroom, fed her oregano, and a bunch of grains with essential oils, and VetRx. She’s now breathing much better, and hoping to travel to oregon for some antibiotics tomorrow. I also placed Colidiol Silver in her water as I use that for my cat and it always works well.

Happy to be here! 💜

Attachments

• 0BA05015-C5BE-4E71-B8CC-14ED8772A9C0.jpeg
    0BA05015-C5BE-4E71-B8CC-14ED8772A9C0.jpeg
    609.1 KB · Views: 14
Have you had her long? Where she and other chickens come from. Look inside her throat with a flashlight while someone holds her. Make sure that your coop has good overhead ventilation. She might have something such as a piece of food caught in her throat. That might be why she sounds better now. Does she have any bubbles or foam in either eye, nasal drainage or sneezing ? Have you added any new birds in the last two weeks? I would consider worming her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeat it in 10 days.

Have you had her long? Where she and other chickens come from. Look inside her throat with a flashlight while someone holds her. Make sure that your coop has good overhead ventilation. She might have something such as a piece of food caught in her throat. That might be why she sounds better now. Does she have any bubbles or foam in either eye, nasal drainage or sneezing ? Have you added any new birds in the last two weeks? I would consider worming her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeat it in 10 days.

I’ve had her since she was 2 days old, along with her sisters. I did look inside her throat, deep as I could and under her tongue for worms and also used a Q tip, didn’t see anything. Nothing going on with her eyes, she does have runny stools. Yes, I keep her coop clean and vented, I really had thought she was choking but after trying everything it seems like it’s an infection. I’m hoping she will heal with herbs and silver but going to get meds just in case. I do have human ivermectin here, but I’m not sure if she needs that.

Back
Top Bottom