Rhode Island Red hen soft eggs and molting

Fluffyhenkeeper

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2022
Hi there! So I’ve done a ton of reading online and I really can’t find a solution to my problem. So I have a Rhode Island Red hen that will be two this June. She has been a wonderful egg layer, she laid an egg almost everyday through winter even though she has been missing feathers on her back due to an over active rooster (rooster has long been separated from the flock now). So I went all through winter worrying about her missing feathers, she has a bare back and some missing on her neck. In the last month or so she has started to regrow some of her feathers on her neck and it looks like some of her back feathers are trying to come in. The other hen that had missing feathers on her back has long since molted and regrown everything and is looking great. But this Rhode Island hen is still trying to lay eggs and regrow feathers. Her eggs are sporadic, maybe 1-2 per week and more often than not they have had some soft spots or have been completely soft. Sometimes she goes into the box in the evening to try and lay an egg and I will find one smashed inside the box in the morning. I’ve been giving hen boost in their water, meal worm treats for extra calcium and they all get the layer food and free choice oyster shells. All of the other hens are doing great, I havent seen any signs of illness or mites. My thought is that she is putting too much energy into still trying to lay eggs and regrow feathers which is causing some disruption to her egg quality. She has had a bare back since last summer. I’ve kept her warm and happy all winter by providing a sweeter heater and heat lamp in their covered run. We had extremely cold weather this winter, down to -1, but everyone did great and pulled through for spring. She sits a lot by herself but is still interested in eating and drinking, I assume the feather regrowth is painful for her. I guess I’m just worried about her and how slow she has been regrowing feathers and I worry about her laying soft eggs. Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you so much!

What type of feed?
Meal worms don't provide any calcium, but some protein and lots of fat.
It could be a faulty shell gland or since she's molting and her energy is else where. if there's too much carbs and fat in her duet, it could also cause these issues. Hen boost is just vitamins, they might need a higher protein feed like flock raiser or chick feed.

What type of feed?
Meal worms don't provide any calcium, but some protein and lots of fat.
It could be a faulty shell gland or since she's molting and her energy is else where. if there's too much carbs and fat in her duet, it could also cause these issues. Hen boost is just vitamins, they might need a higher protein feed like flock raiser or chick feed.
They are all eating layer feed and then they have access to oyster shells. Do you think it would be best to eliminate the meal worms? I usually fill a treat roller with them to keep them busy and out of trouble. I will try the chick feed for her. The rest of the hens are laying beautiful and hard shelled eggs. Thank you for your insight!

They are all eating layer feed and then they have access to oyster shells. Do you think it would be best to eliminate the meal worms? I usually fill a treat roller with them to keep them busy and out of trouble. I will try the chick feed for her. The rest of the hens are laying beautiful and hard shelled eggs. Thank you for your insight!
You're welcome, maybe not eliminate but reduce the meal worms. Think of them as cheetos for chickens. It's likely from the molting, some chickens have a harder time. A protein boost will do all your ladies some good as layer feed has the minimum protein they require.

You're welcome, maybe not eliminate but reduce the meal worms. Think of them as cheetos for chickens. It's likely from the molting, some chickens have a harder time. A protein boost will do all your ladies some good as layer feed has the minimum protein they require.
Haha I like that way of looking at meal worms, Cheetos! I’ll just give them a small amount in their treat roller. So would you recommend mixing the chick feed in with the layer feed for everyone or try and feed it separately to the hen having trouble?

I'd give her some all flock type feed, it has around 20% protein which will help her feather shafts develop. providing extra oyster shell or crushed chicken eggshells ( which can be easier for them to digest and utilize) can help your hen with her egg shell issues. I hope she improves!

Haha I like that way of looking at meal worms, Cheetos! I’ll just give them a small amount in their treat roller. So would you recommend mixing the chick feed in with the layer feed for everyone or try and feed it separately to the hen having trouble?
I'd do everyone since it's easier to do and won't hurt anything. If the problem persists she might need a more available type calcium like eggshells, but hopefully it will work it's self out.

I'd do everyone since it's easier to do and won't hurt anything. If the problem persists she might need a more available type calcium like eggshells, but hopefully it will work it's self out.
Thank you so much! In the morning I will be putting out some of the chick food I have. I’ll have to go buy some more now.

I'd give her some all flock type feed, it has around 20% protein which will help her feather shafts develop. providing extra oyster shell or crushed chicken eggshells ( which can be easier for them to digest and utilize) can help your hen with her egg shell issues. I hope she improves!
That is a good idea about the egg shells I will put some of those out for her too. I’ll pick up some higher protein feed from the store for her to help her get those feathers growing in. It’s interesting how some chickens have trouble and others don’t, but I guess they are all just slightly different, kind of like people. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom