Rickets

Chickmom96

Chirping
Mar 9, 2021
Hi, I have a 7mo old who has rickets. Her legs are bent and splayed. I didn't know she had it until she started showing signs at about 3 months old. She isn't totally immobile, but can only stand on the joint where her thigh meets her legs and can hop and scoot around. I've been giving extra calcium, sunshine and poultry cell almost exclusively since she has been indoors for about 4 months now. I'm not really finding anything online about an older chicken with rickets, only chicks. My question is, how long will she survive with rickets and will it ever get better? She has of recently seemed to be a little less active, but she had a horrible infestation of mites which is now cleared up but she just doesn't seem to be getting back to her chipper self. I've noticed her eating less and I've started holding her to eat. I fear her time is very short and I don't want her suffering needlessly. TIA!

Could you post some pictures of how your chicken looks standing? There is a leg bone deformity called varus deformity that causes a bow legged appearance, and may be mistaken for rickets. The hock joints may be swollen. There is no treatment for it, unfortunately. True rickets in poultry can be due to a deficiency or imbalance of vitamin D3, calcium, and phosphorus. The beak and breast bone, and leg bones may be rubbery in rickets. Here is some reading about rickets:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/mineral-deficiencies-in-poultry

Last edited:
This photo is of a chicken with varus bone deformity in both legs:
1704241281131.png

Her beak, legs and breast bone are all hard. I need to trim her nails and beak just not sure how to go about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240102_193256029~2.jpg
    IMG_20240102_193256029~2.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240102_193316356.jpg
    IMG_20240102_193316356.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 9
Okay, the pictures show that she probably has the opposite leg bone deformity—valgus, instead of varus. It is not treatable either unfortunately. I would stop the calcium, but just make sure that she is getting a balanced chicken feed, limiting treats. Calcium will not help this. There may not be a lot you can do for her with this type of deformity. In this photo, the chicken has a valgus deformity of only one leg:

Attachments

• 1704329149783.png
    1704329149783.png
    274.6 KB · Views: 12
m
Hi, I have a 7mo old who has rickets. Her legs are bent and splayed. I didn't know she had it until she started showing signs at about 3 months old. She isn't totally immobile, but can only stand on the joint where her thigh meets her legs and can hop and scoot around. I've been giving extra calcium, sunshine and poultry cell almost exclusively since she has been indoors for about 4 months now. I'm not really finding anything online about an older chicken with rickets, only chicks. My question is, how long will she survive with rickets and will it ever get better? She has of recently seemed to be a little less active, but she had a horrible infestation of mites which is now cleared up but she just doesn't seem to be getting back to her chipper self. I've noticed her eating less and I've started holding her to eat. I fear her time is very short and I don't want her suffering needlessly. TIA!
Moringa supplemental is a only remedy for this i’ve write a article about it too
and see this https://poultrydvm.com/supplement/moringa-oleifera

Okay, the pictures show that she probably has the opposite leg bone deformity—valgus, instead of varus. It is not treatable either unfortunately. I would stop the calcium, but just make sure that she is getting a balanced chicken feed, limiting treats. Calcium will not help this. There may not be a lot you can do for her with this type of deformity. In this photo, the chicken has a valgus deformity of only one leg:
How long is the life expectancy for this? Also what would you recommend to use for trimming her nails and beak? Thank you for the help! ☺️

Back
Top Bottom