RIR egg bound or?

petrab1

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2021
Thank you for reading. One of our RIR is not moving... She looks good and seems alert. She will not stand up though and I found her below the roosting area this morning. She will not eat and reluctantly takes fluids from syringe. I think she is egg bound as she keeps pushing but after warm bath and gentle examination I can not feel an egg anywhere. There was some whitish fluid expelled after the warm bath though. Please - any advice? she is in a warm snuggly place by herself with access to water and food and I have syringed her Calcium water.

Thank you for reading. One of our RIR is not moving... She looks good and seems alert. She will not stand up though and I found her below the roosting area this morning. She will not eat and reluctantly takes fluids from syringe. I think she is egg bound as she keeps pushing but after warm bath and gentle examination I can not feel an egg anywhere. There was some whitish fluid expelled after the warm bath though. Please - any advice? she is in a warm snuggly place by herself with access to water and food and I have syringed her Calcium water.
20201204_10372515.jpg

How old is your hen and do you know when she last laid?
When you felt for an egg did you insert a finger to see if you could feel one that way? Using a gloved finger gently insert 1-2 inches into the vent, see if you feel an egg. If she's able to poop, then she's not egg bound, so let us know how droppings look. Also check her crop, is it empty, full, soft, squishy, etc. And does her abdomen, below the vent, between the legs feel bloated?
Calcium is good, liquid is absorbed faster. I use calcium citrate +D, the D helps with absorption. The calcium will help with contractions. If you've given some today, then if she still having trouble tomorrow give her another dose then. Keep her in a dark, quiet place and see if she can pass it. If you feel an egg then lubing her vent and around the egg with some KY jelly may help also. Depending on her age, and other things I asked, it could be a reproductive problem also.

Back
Top Bottom