Roo violence.. head injury

Pics
There was nothing to suggest that it was sick. It's possible I guess, but its symptoms were originally a result of injuries. On the other hand, if a bird is sick, that does raise a good question. I haven't yet been in that situation where I need to make that decision.
The reason why I think the bird might have been sick is 1) your report of his abnormal development, and 2) I’ve had quail (unfortunately) suffer much more severe head wounds and continue to walk, eat, and drink normally. I have separated them, given them rest, and a soothing loving voice. Their anxiety and trauma quickly dissipates and they recover quickly.

The reason why I think the bird might have been sick is 1) your report of his abnormal development, and 2) I’ve had quail (unfortunately) suffer much more severe head wounds and continue to walk, eat, and drink normally. I have separated them, given them rest, and a soothing loving voice. Their anxiety and trauma quickly dissipates and they recover quickly.
Anything is possible. In this case, it seemed to present in line with what people have said here about wry neck.

I actually have another quail that may be sick. She is from a younger group. She was strong yesterday but today seems weak and wobbly (although she flew about ten feet). I hope she recovers.

I'm new to this. Are sick quail unsafe to eat?

Anything is possible. In this case, it seemed to present in line with what people have said here about wry neck.

I actually have another quail that may be sick. She is from a younger group. She was strong yesterday but today seems weak and wobbly (although she flew about ten feet). I hope she recovers.

I'm new to this. Are sick quail unsafe to eat?
I don't eat sick quail. Injured, yes, but not sick ones. Most diseases don't cross species, but the ones that do are pretty nasty.

What have you discovered to work best to avoid the savagery? What is kind of the best practice for

Prevention?
-Separating identified roos at 3 weeks
-Culling extra roos at 8 weeks or earlier?
-Keeping the bachelor pads in a generally darker (less light) state
-Monitor as closely as possible
-Anything else?

After the violence is discovered?
-Cull the aggressor?
-Reintroduce the aggressor with other roos again?
- ?
I off my extra males at about 4 weeks no matter their size...to prevent having to deal with this.

I much rather eat them small than watch them suffer for a second.

I would NEVER put alcohol on any wound. Ever.

Back
Top Bottom