Roo w an injured neck - fox attack - help!

Hmn1605

Hatching
Jul 16, 2023
Hi, my. Rooster was attacked by a fox and has a severely bruised neck and cannot hold his head up. Happened about 36 hours ago. All of the 7 hens were killed, but he somehow survived.

He’s eating gruel I made from chicken feed and water if I put it to his mouth. His breathing must be ok as his comb is bright red.

I worry he’s in a lot of pain- I’m going to try aspirin as a previous poster suggested.

Is it humane to wait and see? He’s closing his eyes a lot which I wonder if due to pain.

He can move slowly around the room but dragging his head.

Suggestions on what to do? A avian vet isn’t an option. I hate to think I’m allowing him to suffer if recovery is unlikely.

Can someone tell me more about a neck sling? I saw a post from a year ago w photos but I could tell much about how it was made or attached. Thx Heather

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    826.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1376.jpeg
    IMG_1376.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 10
I would try giving him human vitamin E softgels 400 IU with a little soft scrambled egg daily for selenium. Human B complex is also good to use, and can be ground into food 1/4 tablet daily.Offer very watery chicken feed up to his beak in a small bowl or tuna can. Limber neck or wry neck is a neurological symptom. Hopefully, it will get better with some rest and treatment. Foam can be found in a variety of places. Socks can be rolled up and taped in place. Water pipe foam insulation tubes are found at most home improvement stores. Here is a link for the small, but there are larger diameters:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King...z_h7ezKNwwEe-4UBKXYaApI9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back
Top Bottom