Roofing advice

awaller

Hatching
Apr 10, 2020
Hi there,
We just got 14 laying hens, they are about 2 weeks old and we are now starting to build the coop.
We got plans from a DIY website. We have a 6x8 coop attached to a 20x8 foot peaked roof run (26 fx8 feet total length)
We are building in an area beneath 2 trees so it will get quite a bit of shade in the summer.
We live in Niagara, Ontario, Canada, so it can get cold but not super cold, were also near the Lake and can get some strong winds.
We are trying to decide on the roofing. The DIY person whom we got the plans from used Ondura roofing.
I was considering using The SUNTUF polycarbonate roofing with an opaque color on the west-facing roof (ie. gets the sun) and a transparent one on the east-facing roof. I thought the transparent on the east side would help with extra light especially in the winter, possibly some passive heating?

My main concerns are that it might not be sturdy enough, or that it might not provide enough of an insulation factor in the winter.

Does anyone have any experience with SUNTUF especially compared to Ondura ?
Or any comments on this.
Thanks

Hi Rachela,
I spoke with someone who lives in vermont and he had a good experience with the SUNTUF roofing. He had 2 panels white and one clear (like a sky light).
Hope that helps.
We're going with the SUNTUF too, so hopefully it works.

Hi Rachela,
I spoke with someone who lives in vermont and he had a good experience with the SUNTUF roofing. He had 2 panels white and one clear (like a sky light).
Hope that helps.
We're going with the SUNTUF too, so hopefully it works.
I’m Wisconsin so looking as well for snow adaptability and weather changes.

Back
Top Bottom