Roost directly over compost

Htwo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 5, 2018
SWMO, Nixa
I'm needing to revamp my coops run and my compost area. What are your thoughts on placing my compost pile directly underneath my girls roosting area? They have multiple roosts, both inside and out, but they typically always roost in one spot outside. I'm thinking if they're roosting directly over the compost pile, they can poop into it! The sides will be field wire, so large enough for the girls to pick at bugs and scraps and let airflow. I could open it from the outside of my run in order to turn or shovel it. The only thing I can think of as a negative would be the steam affecting them negatively somehow?

Probably not an issue, but as someone who composts I'd say don't do it because it will limit your access to the compost for doing things like just turning the pile. To me it makes more sense to just transfer the soiled bedding to your compost pile.

Justin Rhodes (on youtube.com) has a compost pile in the chicken run (it's big for a run). Everyday the chickens scratch around on top of the pile. While there, they are aerating it, eating bugs, and pooping. Try that and see how it works for you.

Back
Top Bottom