Rooster aggressive towards hen

Chickentender5

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2021
Lat year I added 12 new chickens to my existing flock of 8. The 8 I had were all hens about 2 years old. One of the 12 new chickens I got ended up being a rooster (buff Orpington) to my dismay. He’s been ok so far, has not shown any aggression towards me. He’s left one of my other hens bare backed. But I have this other hen from my first batch( also a Buffy). She is on the smaller side. And he won’t leave her alone. She keeps getting out of her chicken run where all the rest are and I couldn’t figure out how and just thought she wanted out to free range(which I can’t currently have with two dogs). I put her back in coop every night. She comes right up to me. So I put her back in chicken yard one evening just before dark and other hens and rooster were still outside. The rooster ran after her. She immediately hunkered down. He didn’t mount her as I thought but went around and stood in front of her and started violently grabbing at her head. She just sat there. I intervened and he then left her alone. Then I went to let them out this morning and watched her go for the food I threw out. The rooster chased her away. She tried to return to eat but he went after her again and same process as before unfolded: she hunkered down but he wouldn’t leave her alone. Eventually got to see her escape route. Why is rooster doing this and what should I do?

I agree - someone has to go. How does rest of the flock act with the rooster? If they are all getting along, it might be much easier to re-home a laying bird. Sometimes there are birds that just do not fit in the set up. Always solve for peace in the flock.

And give a good count - might be there are just a bit too many birds for the set up. That can cause a bird to be pushed out.

Chickens really don't make forever friends and being raised together has little influence on the behavior of the flock. There are a lot of posts where what was working, is not working now.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom