Rooster and hen question

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
My 2 year old Buff Orpingtong hen Rosey has always been the dominant hen. We bought 4 chicks this past spring and now they are round 7 months old. We ended up with 2 hens and 2 roos. We had to part with one rooster because they started fighting. So we kept Mr. Jack. He is a Red blue laced Wyanodotte. Rosey has been pushing him around some well not really pushing like I said she has always been the head honcho. I only have 4 hens and the one rooster. So today rosey and mr. jack we fighting and i guess he got the upper hand on her this time. no one got hurt but now she wants to RUN away from him and is scared of him. at bed time he pecked her kinda hard. is all this normal? will she quit being scared of him?

I brought my cockerel into a young, but established flock. He has gained control over all the ladies. But he still only lets certain girls roost near him. He will not let my Production RIR's roost next to him. My BO's can but not close. My BR's are his favorite and can roost right up next to him. Yours will eventually warm up to him, right now her little ego is hurt.
hide.gif

I have one dominant bantam rock "Princess" and my young Japanese cockerel always challenges her with his hackles up and she pecks him in the head and he runs away! :lol: Pecking is a normal part of the pecking order process but blood shouldn't be.

no, theres been no blood but they have kicked up at each other. my husband says this has to happen so mr. jack will have control of all the ladies. i just hate for her to be afraid of him. i mean she is the main thang so to speak no one has ever stood up to her. she isnt mean she just knows she the head hen and the other hens know it to, she is a wonderful hen she is our biggest lap pet. i dont like the pecking but i know thats all part of the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom