Rooster attacking aggressive Hen

The hen pecking others as described sounds like normal, reminding everyone that "im the boss" pecking order stuff. Thats normal and fine so long as its not excessive. Her "standing her ground" to the rooster would be ok with me. But the rooster's increasing aggression is a problem.
His age is a contributing factor as he reaches sexual maturity his territorial instincts increase. The desire to protect his flock and drive off intruders is something that we find useful. These are also "normal" behaviors but when they become excessive to the point he is causing injuries or demonstrating towards people, its unacceptable, IMO.
Since roosters offer little benefit and are unnecessary in most backyard flocks, hes the expendable piece of the puzzle.
I tend to agree. However, if there is any chance that he might be able to be trained out of it, I'm inclined to try that first. That being said, he might be more trouble than he's worth, but he's been really sweet since he's been in "jail." Even letting me pick him up and pet him (he's never done that before).

I've noticed most roosters get a little crazy when puberty sets in. Since my first rooster which was the one I mentioned in my post I have worked to socialize any that hatch out and have had good success so I could easily rehome them. I've had no problems finding homes for roosters that will eat out of your hand.

Even with that boy I was able to teach him not to attack us. This is how I did it incase someone has a rooster they mostly like for protection but is starting to show aggression to people. It may work for people that want to put the time into it.

I had one hen that this rooster saved from a hawk. He was always very protective of her after that. One day I squatted down to hand her a treat and he attacked my back> I had spur bruises for weeks! Anyway, I caught him and put him in a cage in the yard. All the girls were outside eating grass and looking at him like " Ohhh You're in trouble!!"

I was working in the yard and would occasionally go over and put my body over the cage to show him I out ranked him. I would occasionally reach in the cage and hold him down on the ground. He still had an attitude. Then it started getting dark and all the girls went in. I walked by the cage. He was all excited thinking I was going to let him out. I walked right by and went into the house. I still laugh when I remember the scream of despair he let out. He was sure I was going to leave him out all night.

I went back out and took him out of the cage and put him on my lap. He pinched my hand so I pinched his comb. I put my hand out and he pinched again. So I pinched his comb harder. I put my hand out again and he looked away and hung his head. I knew he got the message.

He never attacked us after that. He just needed to understand the rules. If we had enough hens to keep him busy we would have kept him because of his protective abilities.

It's hard to get the right balance in a rooster.
I did almost the same thing last night. I have a part of my run that has a gate to it and is completely predator-proof. I went and bought a small coop for him to stay in at night. I completely locked him in it last night (I felt a little bad because there really was no space for food or water, but it was only for the night and if he goes in willingly again tonight I won't close it up). This pen is adjacent to the run for the hens so he will be able to see them, but not get to them.
He was very sweet last night after all the girls had gone into the coop. He let me pick him up. There's some chicken wire in that pen and I think he ran into it after dark because there were a couple of scrapes on his comb that were bleeding slightly. He let me put some Neosporin on them.
My hen is doing much better today. I went in this morning and she was up and mingling with the other girls. Her wounds are healing nicely. But she hasn't seen him since the attack. Yesterday, she refused to go out of the coop at all, and I was fine with letting her do whatever she wants or needs to in order to heal. I think once she realized that the roo wasn't in there, she relaxed a whole lot. It will be interesting to see if she goes out today and what she does when she sees Divo locked up.
I do think he was really trying to only teach her a lesson and wasn't out to kill her. Both times, she was hiding away from him, which tells me that he let her go. Still, his behavior was unacceptable and I'm not sure if I'm ever going to let him be around her again. Time will tell.

If she gets to the point where she will go near him in the cage then you could switch them up and put her in the cage with him allowed to come near her but not able to hurt her. She might relax around him. The problem would be how she reacts if he wants to mate her. If she fights or runs away it may make him aggressive again. Then you know it won't work for sure.

Okay, so there's a new hitch here. I just discovered this on my Buff: She has spurs!! BIG ONES!!! I'm wondering if the Rooster thinks she's a he and is attacking her because of that? She's never tried to mount a hen, but her spurs are bigger and sharper than his. Is there anything I can do about this? Can these spurs be removed? Should they?

Attachments

• 20210209_131217.jpg
    20210209_131217.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210209_131229.jpg
    20210209_131229.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 2
All chickens have the buds to grow spurs. Hen's buds usually stay dormant but some breeds are more prone to growing spurs.
Whether or not he is picking up on that and that's the cause of his aggression specifically towards her I couldn't say. Its possible he may view her as another roo and a competitor. Its also possible that's human logic being applied to a chicken.

Thank you. I would get rid of him before I would get rid of her. I have her isolated her in the garage in a crate to let her heal. She's the dominant hen and he challenges her but then he usually backs down.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I might have to get rid of him.
I'd get rid of him first since he wasn't planned anyway. Flock was fine till he grew up to be a bully!

I'd get rid of him first since he wasn't planned anyway. Flock was fine till he grew up to be a bully!
Yeah, I'm looking at my options now. I'm going to try keeping them apart for several weeks- he's been miserable in "jail." And my hen is just another hen altogether. She used to be so confident and feisty. Now she seems to be very timid and submissive, and she won't go anywhere near him. Perhaps things worked out after all, but I will be covering his spurs with duct tape before I introduce them again so he can't do any real damage to her.

Yeah, I'm looking at my options now. I'm going to try keeping them apart for several weeks- he's been miserable in "jail." And my hen is just another hen altogether. She used to be so confident and feisty. Now she seems to be very timid and submissive, and she won't go anywhere near him. Perhaps things worked out after all, but I will be covering his spurs with duct tape before I introduce them again so he can't do any real damage to her.
Spurs can be removed fairly quickly and easily with a pair of pliers. (YouTube it or google) .
I have never attempted it myself. They say its relatively painless but i don't see how, other than it is quick once you know how.
Personally, and I know I'm beating a dead horse here, a rooster isn't worth much to me but something pretty to look at and delicious to eat. Easily replaced. I feel that butchering is painless and a definite solution.
I can appreciate your interest in saving him and her and keeping them happy. Quality of life is most important for them AND you.
You have already shown great commitment and patience, but sometimes removal is the only option left.

Back
Top Bottom