Rooster attacking hens

Txchickhitch

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 24, 2018
I have been raising poultry for many years now and have a problem that I am puzzled about and a little worried. Let me fill you in on what has been going on this year so you can understand.I have an old rooster who I love dearly and has been very vital to my flocks. He is an Americana. Over the years he has had new batches of pullets (raised from chicks) introduced to him correctly and he has been a happy boy.
This year he has had many many changes to his yard and life. At one point he would not crow for about 2 or 3 months. We had an emergency back in November 2022, a gas line broke in their chicken yard and there was heavy equipment out there for about 28 hours up against their coop. This spring we introduced 8 wyandottes. He was a little over whelmed (they are such a handful). Shortly after that a neighbor's house caught on fire and because of that stupid gas line first responders were running everywhere. The smoke was blowing into their yard and I had to leave them with a sprinkler on.
Next thing.. a new chicken house. Bigger, better, I'm happy with it.
The problem..... For the last 3 mornings when I get up and check the cameras before I head out there I find him spurring the hens. I have tried everything I can think of to find an issue, but I am lost here. I do not want to dispatch him!
Please help if you have any understanding.
Thank you for reading my super long story.

Is there any blood loss?
How old is he?
How much space is in the enclosure where you've seen him flogging hens? How many birds total?
Are the hens fighting back?
Are they specific hens or any random hen?

Is there any blood loss?
How old is he?
How much space is in the enclosure where you've seen him flogging hens? How many birds total?
Are the hens fighting back?
Are they specific hens or any random hen?
He will be 6yrs old this coming spring. I have 13 hens plus the roo. Their house is 13x9. The girls don't seem to fight him back. I think they are shocked by his behavior. And it is not one specific hen, he goes after any one of them. He seems to be fine out in the yard. I forgot to mention in my original post that he is also molting.

I forgot to mention in my original post that he is also molting.
This can certainly make them miserable. But the roosters seem to molt slower and longer than the hens and aren't generally as ornery.
Is there any blood loss? That question got missed.
If there is no blood loss and he only just started this, I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't eventually resolve itself. Obviously, trying to keep them on a regular routine without any changes will help alleviate stress. But it seems like you've had a lot of stressful things happen to them that are beyond your control.

This can certainly make them miserable. But the roosters seem to molt slower and longer than the hens and aren't generally as ornery.
Is there any blood loss? That question got missed.
If there is no blood loss and he only just started this, I wouldn't worry about it unless it doesn't eventually resolve itself. Obviously, trying to keep them on a regular routine without any changes will help alleviate stress. But it seems like you've had a lot of stressful things happen to them that are beyond your control.
No blood loss or wounds that I can see, but I will be trimming his spurs again.

That is what I was going to suggest, timing the spurs. But if you have a separation place, you might put him there for a good while. Thing is when the molt begins, his hormones drop, with the dark days of winter, his hormones drop. They often get out of sorts. pull him away from your hens for a while, let everyone get through the molt and winter. Introduce him in the spring.

If he is 6 years old, he may be beginning to decline. Sometimes that effects their behavior too.

Mrs K

That is what I was going to suggest, timing the spurs. But if you have a separation place, you might put him there for a good while. Thing is when the molt begins, his hormones drop, with the dark days of winter, his hormones drop. They often get out of sorts. pull him away from your hens for a while, let everyone get through the molt and winter. Introduce him in the spring.

If he is 6 years old, he may be beginning to decline. Sometimes that effects their behavior too.

Mrs K
That is exactly what my daughter and have been talking about. Thanks. Glad to know we are on the right track.

Back
Top Bottom