Rooster Bachelor Pad Tips?

I guess my problem is that almost all these extra roosters are quite lovely at this point and provide good potential future breeding possibilities
That is where I disagree.

Personality is a strongly inherited trait.

If the male isn't good with humans, AND good with the hens, I eat him.

Males are truly a dime a dozen. There is no reason to keep a bad one.

After being hardcore with my breeding... I can now do almost anything I want in regards to my flock dynamics.

In my bantam flock I have 3 males and 4 females.... here is a picture... see the nice feather on that girl?

20210808_143803.jpg

Yes, serious aggressive fighting started immediately. My silver laced polish roo (who might be the biggest roo I’ve ever had and he’s only four months old) immediately ended up with a damaged eye - which has since healed. I now have him in small quarters with an Appenzeller rooster and they are doing fine together for now.

I came up with a plan for bigger housing yesterday, and I’m hoping to move four of the standard sized roosters (two polish, the appenzeller, and a big frizzled Sultan mix (who is about the strangest looking chicken I’ve ever owned 😄) into there today. I’m hoping if they all get moved into a new spot at the same time, there won’t be a main aggressor, but we’ll see. I’ll take pictures if things work out.

I have two older silkie roos who can be surprisingly aggressive with other chickens and I’m going to put them in with my two Runner Duck drakes. They have nice quarters with a house with an upper and lower level so the silkies will have their own spot. And ducks and silkies, with a decent sized run, has worked for me before.

That will free up the current bachelor pen for my bantam roosters and Tolbunt rooster (who so far is a real sweetheart). They are all in with the hens at the moment, but just beginning to feel their oats.

So I have a tentative plan 🤷🏻‍♀️.
You could try the opposite direction - moving a mid pecking-order rooster or two from the bigger flock in with the polish and appenzeller. If they then get along, it could give them an 'in' with the bigger flock eventually.

That is where I disagree.

Personality is a strongly inherited trait.

If the male isn't good with humans, AND good with the hens, I eat him.

Males are truly a dime a dozen. There is no reason to keep a bad one.

After being hardcore with my breeding... I can now do almost anything I want in regards to my flock dynamics.

In my bantam flock I have 3 males and 4 females.... here is a picture... see the nice feather on that girl?

View attachment 2816810
Lovely - you can see they aren't overridden.

Back
Top Bottom