Rooster beautiful in summer/ now looks awful for months!

The "wattles always being wet" concerns me a bit. Is his nose runny, or does he cough/sneeze/wheeze at all? Makes me suspect he's acquired some respiratory ailment after getting weak from the mites.
Always dripping wet and it makes his feathers on his neck always wet too! But no runny nose or sneezing. What kind of respiratory medicine could help?

Poultry protector isn't really the best treatment. If you have elector PSP, then I would go ahead and use that. The lice and mites can really take them down, make them anemic, really weaken them. You also need to clean out and treat the coop. You can use the PSP or a permethrin spray. For the coop you may need to do several times to get any that continue to hatch. You will need to discard all bedding and nesting material and replace each time. If you spray him then make sure he's completely dry before going back out into the cold.
Did he molt this year?
His droppings look runny to me in that picture.
Is his crop working properly? It fills and empties through out the day as he eats and digests. Check it first thing in the morning before he's had any food or water, it should be empty then. If it's not empty, that can indicate a problem. Let us know what it feels like, empty, full, hard, soft & squishy, etc.
Has it been cold where you are? His comb looks a little discolored in that picture, like maybe frostbite? Do you have a current picture?
I went out this morning and felt his crop which was empty before feeding and then was larger or full at the end of the food. His waddle is very droopy and I assume he got frostbite when it was really cold. I did take a few pics so hopefully they help

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 1
  • image11.jpeg
    image11.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 1
It does appear that he got some frostbite. Those will eventually fall off on their own. Not sure on the wet wattles, if you are not seeing other respiratory symptoms then I would not treat for that. Check inside his beak and throat to see if there are any lesions or gunk in there. If he's hard to catch then take him off the roost after dark and use a flashlight to look. Could be getting wet during drinking, I have a large wattled rooster (much larger than yours) and particularly in open dishes his wattles get covered when he eats or drinks.
I would work on the mites and lice issue, make sure he's eating well, maybe supplement with some poultry cell to help his immune system. Watch droppings, see if they are still runny or not. If his weight isn't good and droppings are still not normal then see if you can get a fecal done to check for internal parasites. Those can cause runny droppings, weight loss, poor nutrient absorption, and digestive issues.

Back
Top Bottom