Rooster behavior

AngieBlain

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2023
I have a flock of 21 chicks. 5 were born May 1st and the other 16 on May 22nd so they are very close in age and have been together since they were very young, before they were even moved to the outdoor coop. 2 ended up being roosters. One from each age group.
Each rooster has essentially developed they're own little flock. A very even split. My dilemma is that the younger rooster has decided lately that he doesn't want the hens that aren't in his flock in the coop so he aggressively bites them and chases them off away from the coop. Their coop is a large 3 stall horse barn so there is plenty of room and they have cohabitated there for some time now without issue. They even all roost in the same spot together every night. During the day he just doesn't want to let that group in the barn to eat or nap or anything. And chase them away from the coop altogether. Except the other rooster, he comes and goes freely. And even sometimes he still let's the hens in. How can I stop his behavior?

Pen him separately where he still can be seen. He may, or may not, mature out of it. You may need to choose only one rooster eventually as two sometimes will fight.

Ok he has been penned separately! I'll give it a whirl! Trying to show the girls that they can now come in and eat without being chased out. He isn't too happy about it but I hope it works. The 2 Roos themselves don't fight. They both seem to be good birds, I think I got lucky if I can just break this habit of his!

If your roosters are going to fight you generally won't see it until early next spring when their hormones start to surge again under increasing light.

Some young roosters or cockerel need some management their first year. I think some just get over excited.

Back
Top Bottom