Rooster butt problems

PBGGG

Songster
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
Maine
Hello,

I have a 3 month old rooster, Finn, who has lived inside since we found him. His vent is noticeably sticking out. It is a pink-ish color. He has been wearing a diaper for about a month now and there has been no problems. Yesterday, I gave him a bath in the sink because he smelled a little bad. I took off his diaper and noticed it was sticking out. This is the first time I noticed it. Today when I put his diaper on, it was gone. But I saw some poop on the floor and his vent was sticking out again. I don't know if I just never saw it before or if he is having some troubles. Anything will help, I'm just worried something is wrong.

Thanks.

He is having an intermittent prolapse whenever he poops, and then it goes back in on it's own. The danger is if it stays outside and gets stuck because the pink tiisue can become strangulated and die. When you find it like that put some honey on it which will naturally shrink the tissue, and push it back in. He may need to have more probiotics in his diet and very few treats. A vet can put a stitch in it to keep it in place if this becomes a problem.

Thanks for your response. We just gave him a warm salt water bath and will try the honey. He has been getting too many treats lately so we will put a stop to that. He seems completely unbothered by it but it is very small now.

I just wanted to update this situation so far. My daughter posted the original inquiry and was very upset about her beloved pet. So mama ran out to the store in frigid Maine weather and got prep H and triple antibiotic ointment. When I got back I loaded a qtip with the prepH and my daughter had me hold Finn steady. Well, it was back in on it's own. We set him down on the floor, he pooped and we checked the vent again... still where it should be, thank God. Obviously we intend to keep watch but fingers crossed, it seems ok.

Back
Top Bottom