Rooster charges at hens

Megamind

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2020
Florida
I have this feral rooster that came into my yard and decided to stick around because of a free-range hen I have. I also have silkies, but they have their coop and run. The rooster usually follows my free-range hen around, but sometimes he just stays around the coop with the other hens. I like to grab a hen and put her next to me when I have to flip over or lift some things that have been on dirt for a while so no grubs and worms go to waste. It's all very entertaining and funny seeing her chase and catch the critters until the rooster spots her; out of nowhere he comes running so fast that I don't even see him and attacks her! It's not one specific hen either, I grab the first one I see. The weird thing is that if I go over to the run and open the door to go in, one or two slip out but the rooster acts like he's known them all his life; just goes up to them and does whatever other rooster does. Does anyone have any ideas on why he does that??

He's lonely and wants to have a nice group of lady friends. Time to adopt him, or eliminate him. He's not injuring anyone? Not human aggressive? He may be a good addition to your flock, and if managed, can be treated for any parasites so he's not adding problems. At night, while roosting in your coop, check him, and everyone, for mites and lice, and treat if present.
Does he belong to a neighbor? If he's truly feral, or a drop-off, he's yours.
Pictures!
Mary

I can't really put him with the other hens because my dad likes to sell their chicks, and he's not a silkie. He also wants to annihilate the silkie rooster I have in there. He's a nice rooster and does absolutely no harm to humans but attacks my hens and rooster the moment he sees them out of the coop or run. I believe he's truly feral, a gypsy chicken as we call them here. I believe he's a mixed Duckwing English bantam. Quite old if you ask me.

Attachments

• IMG_9673.jpg
    IMG_9673.jpg
    711.3 KB · Views: 6
I believe he's truly feral, a gypsy chicken as we call them here.
Where is "here"?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1621258008722.png

Oh, yes sorry, I fixed it. I'm from South Florida. A long time ago, when cockfighting was legal, chickens were brought to the keys from Cuba. When cockfighting was banned, most people let their chickens loose on the streets. All those chickens started mating and mixing up. Most are Old English bantams mixed with all sorts of colors. I think my rooster is a red Pyle mixed with silver Old English.

Back
Top Bottom