Rooster Charging at Broody Hen? What is happening here?

sbmcqueen

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2022
Hello All,

I have a very broody Orpington right now.
What is strange is yesterday, I saw the rooster peck at her(quite hard). Today, he charged at her a few times. She's one of my favourite hens, and putting him in the stew pot did cross my mind...

What is going on, and why is he behaving this way?

More context - He's maybe 16 months old. He comes after me and my husband from time to time. He's not super aggressive, but he sometimes is a bit of a jerk.

We have had then both since being young chicks.

She might be "top hen"(?)

Last edited:
Frequently the unusual behavior of broody hens makes flock mates regard them as 'strangers' that need to be shown their place. Monitor to make sure that his behavior does not escalate.

I've got an Orphy to and I think sheay be broody....my easter egger/silkie is for sure. My rooster is about a year old, he acts like he's trying to kill her. She runs and screams or cowers everytime she sees him, even if he can't get to her. She hiding out on the coop, or hides all day under the wood pile. Last week I found her crouched down with her head under the coop (that's as far as she could get under it) and the rooster was trying to peck her head. He often leaves bloody spots on her comb. What do I do?

I've got an Orphy to and I think sheay be broody....my easter egger/silkie is for sure. My rooster is about a year old, he acts like he's trying to kill her. She runs and screams or cowers everytime she sees him, even if he can't get to her. She hiding out on the coop, or hides all day under the wood pile. Last week I found her crouched down with her head under the coop (that's as far as she could get under it) and the rooster was trying to peck her head. He often leaves bloody spots on her comb. What do I do?
Seperate, rehome or eat the rooster.

He sounds tasty!
Seriously, get rid of him in one way or another. He is abusing her, something no good rooster should ever do. All hens deserve more then that.

Back
Top Bottom