Rooster dance

Yes, it can be a precursor to attack, or mating if you're a female chicken.
Don't show fear and walk 'thru' them, make them get out of your way.
There's a tons of advice on how to deal with male livestock,
what does your FFA instructor/mentor suggest?

Yes, it can be a precursor to attack, or mating if you're a female chicken.
Don't show fear and walk 'thru' them, make them get out of your way.
There's a tons of advice on how to deal with male livestock,
what does your FFA instructor/mentor suggest?

The most she has suggested is to act confident around them, and not act skittish. Of course I don’t act afraid around my own birds. So i’m already following the only form of advice she’s given me.

This is the dance roosters do to woo female chickens into becoming 'theirs'. It is supposed to be an impressive show of their dominance and if the hens do not comply the next step is often a pecking from the rooster.

This is commonly the first stage of aggression towards humans, where the rooster is confused and thinks of you as another possible hen for him to dominate. Once he realises you will not submit for him he will likely become combative toward you. This will start small with foot pecking and escalate to jumping spur attacks if you do not train him to respect you. You must teach him that you are not on his level. You are neither his nor a threat to him and his flock.

Yes, it is a show of aggression. Just don't let them get too close. Go about your business as usual and keep an eye on them at all times.

I’ve just always been confused, as the moment I pet them — they calm down quickly! They also crawl into my lap to sit down and even fall asleep! They’re very friendly / nonaggressive roosters so that’s why i’m a bit surprised.

I’ve just always been confused, as the moment I pet them — they calm down quickly! They also crawl into my lap to sit down and even fall asleep! They’re very friendly / nonaggressive roosters so that’s why i’m a bit surprised.
How old?
Petting and coddling roosters is not really suggested by the majority here on byc.

How old are they? Are their hormones just now picking up?

Back
Top Bottom