Rooster dethroned

Cinnamon Roll

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
Rincon, GA
How long will a new top rooster continue to bully the recently dethroned top rooster?

My former top rooster, Clarence, was dethroned yesterday by his son, Big Cheese. All afternoon and all day today, Big Cheese has been chasing Clarence around if he dares to come out of his (large) corner of the yard. How long can I expect this to go on? It’s pretty hard to watch ☹️

How long will a new top rooster continue to bully the recently dethroned top rooster?

My former top rooster, Clarence, was dethroned yesterday by his son, Big Cheese. All afternoon and all day today, Big Cheese has been chasing Clarence around if he dares to come out of his (large) corner of the yard. How long can I expect this to go on? It’s pretty hard to watch ☹️
It depends on the individual characters of your birds in question and the amount of space and hens you provide.

Often times it even ends with the death of the defeated rooster, either by being severely injured or starved.

Some people give the defeated one a separate coop and run with his favourite girls and keep two separate flocks.

thanks for the replies, @Acre4Me , @ChickenCanoe and @LaFleche, I was hoping for better news.

My flock has 21 hens for 2 roosters and 1 cockerel but I just lost 2 hens to a dog attack last week so I was hoping to stay a little rooster heavy just for the extra protection. They are completely free range over about 3 acres so space is not a huge issue, and I put water and food in his exile corner but Big Cheese just won’t let Clarence leave that area.

I was planning to get some Guinea hens this weekend and put them in my separation pen but now I’m going to have to rethink that. Ugh!! Dang roosters!

With more than 3 acres to roam freely you could set the enthroned one up with a separate coop for himself and his favourite 4 hens. Just make sure it is far enough from the main coop Big Cheese is ruling and have the entrance on one side that can not be seen from the main coop to give him some privacy.

The dog attack and subsequent loss of the hens can be the cause for Big Cheese's actual aggressive behaviour. The former hierarchy is often unsettled by this kind of incidents and aspiring strong cockerels take advantage.

With more than 3 acres to roam freely you could set the enthroned one up with a separate coop for himself and his favourite 4 hens. Just make sure it is far enough from the main coop Big Cheese is ruling and have the entrance on one side that can not be seen from the main coop to give him some privacy.

The dog attack and subsequent loss of the hens can be the cause for Big Cheese's actual aggressive behaviour. The former hierarchy is often unsettled by this kind of incidents and aspiring strong cockerels take advantage.

That’s a good idea, thanks. I will have to look at my breeding plans and my budget and decide what to do.

So, the drama king was too busy chasing another rooster to protect the hens, give himself up to protect the hens. The very best roosters do that.

Back
Top Bottom