Rooster harassing hen

Replying to everyone ^
Thank you all. We have a cat cage that although may be a bit small will be good enough to move him off to his own little corner for moment. It’s strange and unfortunate to know that the rooster who runs and hides behind his hens is attacking one of them :( as much as it pains me it’ll hurt my hen even more if I let him be.
Sometimes a rooster will do that to a hen that's ready to die too. I don't think you mentioned the age of the hen or the rooster or how they came to be together in your flock.You mentioned he runs from his hens?Thanks!

Sometimes a rooster will do that to a hen that's ready to die too. I don't think you mentioned the age of the hen or the rooster or how they came to be together in your flock.You mentioned he runs from his hens?Thanks!
Our rooster and hens are the same age from the same place and are under a year old, he doesn’t run from his hens but from us and hides with his hens :)

On closer inspection I’m definitely sure this has gotten out of hand - our poor hen is bleeding. I plan on cleaning out a shack we have, fixing it up and putting her and our broody silkie in for the time being until we get rid of him being accepted back in the flock.
Moving her increases the risk of resetting the pecking order .She may have to be integrated and may lose her position in the flock.
So we have a rooster and recently he’s been harassing one of the hens (one who’s going broody) he’s not even mating with her just pecking her relentlessly. We’re thinking of making him dinner cause we have a hen sitting on some eggs but I know that some animals have aggressive or even violent mating rituals. What should we do?
Is she squatting and submitting?

Moving her increases the risk of resetting the pecking order .She may have to be integrated and may lose her position in the flock.

Is she squatting and submitting?
For your first statement I know but she’s far too hurt to be anywhere near the rooster rn and it’s easiest to treat her when she’s in the coop. And for your second, yes she was but when she realised he wouldn’t stop pecking her she would run away.

Back
Top Bottom