Rooster have scabs on neck and leg -- possible mites?

Yes, Elector PSP is supposed to work with one treatment. I've never used it due to cost, but in the link I gave you before, that is her preferred method and product. I would just make sure that you get good coverage, and I would repeat treatment if you saw any signs returning after a week or more has gone by.
I would guess that composting will kill them, if they can't find a host they will starve. I really don't know how far they travel without being carried by something. I suppose you could potentially carry them from the garden to the coop on your clothing or shoes, not really sure. I usually burn my used bedding. Putting it in sealed trash bags for disposal would also work. If you have enough Elector, you could spray that in the garden also. It's supposed to be safe for that, and there is no egg withdrawl when using on your birds. I've never found DE to be effective for anything, though I know many swear by it.

That crust on feathers and redness of skin in the 3rd picture looks like mite droppings and crust. Permethrin spray or martins or Gordons permethrin 10 concentrate mixed with water from the feed store may help if used at least twice at 7 days intervals to get live mites, and the newly hatched ones before they reproduce. It can also be used on the coop, roosts, and nest boxes. Note there are different mixing instructions for the birds and the coop. It is good to remove all bedding and replace with new pine shavings.
I'm leaning toward Gordon's permethrin. It seems the most cost effective and my local Tractor Supply has it. Is it recommended to spray the chickens with this? I read on a few YouTube comments that some people would dip their birds in a gallon of water combined with two tbls of this.

You can use it to spray the birds, and the coop. The instructions for mixing ratio's for both are on the label, it's different for surfaces/premises vs birds. I would think that the mixture ratio for birds would be the same whether you dip or spray them, I would use what the label says. If you spray them, then gently brush the feathers with your hand (gloved) against the way they grow so you can get down to the base of the feathers.

I think I overdid it this morning. I followed the ratio and sprayed the birds first then followed the ratio for the outdoors and sprayed my entire garden with Gordon's 10. This was 5 hours ago and I still smell it in the garden and it was giving me a headache. I was going to spray the bird's coop but I found them hiding in it so I wanted to wait. It looks like it may have been too strong. Does anyone know how long it will take for the smell to go away? I made the mixture in my bathroom and I can still smell it in there.

Permethrin does have an odor that will dissipate, but you need to mix it according to the instructions on the inside label. Allowing about 15 ml or 1/2 ounce of mixed spray per chicken is about right for an adult hen. How did you mix it for the chickens and for the facilities? Here is a guide for poultry housing and use on the birds:
https://www.domyown.com/msds/Permethrin 10 Label.pdf

Permethrin does have an odor that will dissipate, but you need to mix it according to the instructions on the inside label. Allowing about 15 ml or 1/2 ounce of mixed spray per chicken is about right for an adult hen. How did you mix it for the chickens and for the facilities? Here is a guide for poultry housing and use on the birds:
https://www.domyown.com/msds/Permethrin 10 Label.pdf

On the label, it says the ratio for application on chickens should be 1:200 so I used 1.478 ml in 12.8 ounces of water for that. And the initial treatment in open spaces would be 1:19 so I did 1.31 ounces in 25 ounces of water or 40ml in 25oz.

On the label, it says the ratio for application on chickens should be 1:200 so I used 1.478 ml in 12.8 ounces of water for that. And the initial treatment in open spaces would be 1:19 so I did 1.31 ounces in 25 ounces of water or 40ml in 25oz.
I think the chickens should be fine actually. They already ate all the grass and we feed them plenty so they mostly just peck at the soil and look for bugs.

The smell is actually gone now. I really wish I hadn't sprayed everything though, including the soil. I'm going to pick up a bag of soil and sprinkle new soil over the garden.
Yeah, spraying the soil was probably a waste of time.
The coop needs to be 'soaked'...IF you ave determined that you have roost mites and not poultry mites.

Back
Top Bottom