Rooster Help and guidance

Suep666

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 10, 2014
Hey Folks

so I'm new to roosters... chickens we've been keeping for about 8 years... but recently we 'fostered' some chicks for our neighbour while they create better housing...anyway .. the three 'chickens' have turned out to be roosters... beautiful fun crazy roosters that I've fallen in love with
so all has been ok and they integrated with our girls quite well... however recently they have 'ahem' come of age and started pouncing on the girls

now... the three girls in our flock are fine...they can look after themselves but there's one girl...an Aurancuna , Morticia is her name... well shes tiny and they are so rough with her that its got her scared and she doesn't like to come out of the coop
we've currently got her separated (but visible in the pen area) but I don't want to do this for much longer

is there anything that can be recommended to 'put them off' from wanting to pounce on her ?
whats worse is that one does it and then the others join in so shes super outnumbered... which is weird because the bigger girls are pounced on only by one rooster at a time... so not sure why they feel like they all need to get involved with poor Morticia

any ideas folks ???

many thanks

Sue

You should not have 3 rooster with 3 hens not even one roo with three hens. They are all jumping on her because she could be a favorite. I suggest either getting rid of all the roos or keep one and get rid of the other two but get more hens.

Edit: if the neighbors are taking them back separate them from the girls until the neighbors take them.

Agree - separate the roosters. People fall in love with roosters until the darling becomes the nightmare...which is where you are quickly headed.

I would not keep a rooster with less than 8 hens, I would not keep 2 roosters with less than 25 hens... Roosters take much more space than hens IMO. More than the 4 ft sq with coops, and 10 ft sq with runs.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom