Rooster hit in head

Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
My bantam rooster, who is fiesty but my favorite, came at my husband, who then swung at him with a broom, and apparently hit him in the head. My roos eye is swollen shut, he is lethargic, not eating or drinking. This happened around an hour ago. Is there anything I can do to help him survive? He is resting among the hens, and keeps falling asleep. He periodically wakes up, looks around and crows. I threw some dried mealworms around him, and he tried to feed the hens, but is unstable on his feet. I am tempted to try to catch him to look closely at his eye and head, but feel like he should be left alone to rest and hopefully recouperate. I am heartbroken, as this roo is completely devoted to the hens and tends to them constantly. He has come at me before, but he is a bantam, and usually after a peck at my feet, runs off to watch after the hens. Even now, he is trying to watch over them. He is able to stand, but not much else. I am outside watching over him now.
Update: he seems to be recovering! He is up, looking more alert and walking around. His eye is open mostly open. He is eating and drinking and watching over hens.

Attachments

• 20230915_140448.jpg
    20230915_140448.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20230915_134915.jpg
    20230915_134915.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Vitamin E and b complex would help, nif you van examine him and get pictures, that would help.
Personally, I don't keep human aggressive roosters, no matter the size. I can't say I would have reacted differently.
Thank you, I do have that. I understand, my husband feels terrible. I am primary caretaker, it's my flock (chickens not my husbands idea) and i had come to respect the little guy's devotion to the 20 hens he has kept safe, despite hawks flying overhead and coyotes nearby. I am giving him space, as ,although he tolerated me, his primary drive is to be among the hens. He would perch on my knee occasionally, but prefers hens to me. I got some pictures, but mostly he is sleeping. I will attach to.original post.

Thank you, I do have that. I understand, my husband feels terrible. I am primary caretaker, it's my flock (chickens not my husbands idea) and i had come to respect the little guy's devotion to the 20 hens he has kept safe, despite hawks flying overhead and coyotes nearby. I am giving him space, as ,although he tolerated me, his primary drive is to be among the hens. He would perch on my knee occasionally, but prefers hens to me. I got some pictures, but mostly he is sleeping. I will attach to.original post.
How is your Roo? Can you update? Curious if he is ok.

How is your Roo? Can you update? Curious if he is ok.
Yes, he recovered! His eye swelling went down, and he seems back to normal now. For several days he hung back from the flock and would rest a good bit. But now he seems pretty active. His fiestiness has returned as well. He is friendlier with me, but I still keep a gloved hand up when he jumps in my lap.

Attachments

• 20230917_143617.jpg
    20230917_143617.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 17
Yes, he recovered! His eye swelling went down, and he seems back to normal now. For several days he hung back from the flock and would rest a good bit. But now he seems pretty active. His fiestiness has returned as well. He is friendlier with me, but I still keep a gloved hand up when he jumps in my lap.
Yay! I'm so happy he's recovered 😀

Back
Top Bottom