Rooster left alone

drdrew

Chirping
Jan 2, 2023
lebanon
last night something got into my coop and i found all 4 of my hens dead except for the rooster who was the only survivor left.
he’s all alone now and he’s acting very sad and kinda depressed
i know i should get him some company and i will get some other chickens but for the time being could leaving him alone for a while have bad concequences could he survive alone for a couple days ?

You can keep him alone for a while, but not permanently. First you need to address the fact that something was able to get into the coop and slaughter your birds. Do you know how it got in?

After that's taken care of you can start the search for companions. You have many options here! You can get new laying hens, old retired hens, or even another rooster as a companion!
I've kept roosters together without hens (important that you don't have hens with multiple roosters) and they got along great! I just let them sort out dominance (without allowing injuries, just mild fighting) and after that they really warmed up to each other. They'd sleep on the same roost, dust bath together, and when they were feeling extra nice they'd groom each other. Just a suggestion, I know there are many roosters looking for homes and I like to advocate for them.

You can keep him alone for a while, but not permanently. First you need to address the fact that something was able to get into the coop and slaughter your birds. Do you know how it got in?
This is very important to addess. Whatever got your hens will likely be back tonight for your rooster. And it will try even harder to get into your coop since it succeeded last night. A game camera aimed at the place where the predator broke in last night may help you identify the predator. Very sorry your hens were killed.

This is very important to addess. Whatever got your hens will likely be back tonight for your rooster. And it will try even harder to get into your coop since it succeeded last night. A game camera aimed at the place where the predator broke in last night may help you identify the predator. Very sorry your hens were killed.
Yeah you mentioned what I forgot to, that it'll be back for the rooster. You should put the rooster in a secure dog cage so nothing can get him (and bring that cage in the house if it's possible).

Yeah you mentioned what I forgot to, that it'll be back for the rooster. You should put the rooster in a secure dog cage so nothing can get him (and bring that cage in the house if it's possible).
i did fix the problem
i recently installed a water pipe going into the coop to make an automatic water system for the chickens so i had to cut a hole through the fence for the pipe to go in i found the hole in the fence was chewed on and scratched so whatever got in probably got in from there. i replaced the wire fence and put cement covering the hole over the pipe so i don’t think anything should be able to go in anymore

Back
Top Bottom