Rooster lethargic & crow sounds strangled or half swallowed

calicokat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
azalia, indiana
Putting up the flock tonight I found our older Silver Spangled Hamburg on the floor of his cage, not up on his roosting perch. Two days ago I thought our little rooster had just started crowing, I was hearing a strangle-y half crow sound. But today I saw this guy make the sound. It was almost like he was doing half a crow and swallowing the rest. Didn't think much of it, but after finding him on the cage floor I'm worried.

I've brought him in and given him a warm bath, didn't find any signs of injury. He was panting and squeaking with his breathing when I brought him in, but has stopped and is now settled on my lap in a towel. I think he's breathing a little fast, and squeaks a little every now and then.

Crop seems empty, he had access to water and crumbles in his cage. Their treat yesterday was some leftover chicken cut into small pieces. The hen who shares his cage seems fine and dandy.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

He's on a heating pad in the house for the night, almost dry from his earlier bath. Hoping he settles down to sleep soon - I keep jumping at every noise or wiggle he makes!

It's been 24 hours now. He spent the day in the house. Didn't eat much or drink. But didn't pant as much or sound so bad.

I did worm him with the paste stuff by mouth. That went fine.

No one has any other ideas what it could be or what to do?

Back
Top Bottom