Rooster neck feathers missing

Couchie

Songster
Mar 10, 2019
Albany, Western Australia
Hello wonderful backyard chicken people.

I have a young pekin bantam rooster. He has been crowing for about 3 weeks now. About two weeks ago he got a little too enthusiastic for the girls so I put him in another yard by himself. It was a veggie patch until recently so he had plenty of great bugs to find.

I noticed today that he is starting to miss neck feathers. I am wondering if any one has an idea why?

I looked and couldn't see any insects under his feathers. I wonder if it is stress.

I tried to take a photo but it was hard to catch the right spot on him.

Attachments

• 20220401_170024.jpg
    20220401_170024.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 13
  • neck.png
    neck.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
thanks for the reply. I was thinking that could be a reason. most of the others have finished molting. When is it usually? We are just starting to get a bit more rain as we come into the winter months.

usually birds molt in autumn, so that they have a good new set of feathers in place for the tough winter months. But some of mine start early in late summer, some start late, well into winter, and they all go at different rates so it's all a bit chaotic here :th

thanks Perris for your thoughts. Besides being a bit lonely because I have locked him in another yard so he doesn't harass the girls, he seems well enough. I am now searching for someone to take him because I am not allowed to have a rooster in suburbia.

Anyone want a pekin bantam rooster? I can deliver to Hawaii, Tahiti, Bali.....

Back
Top Bottom