Rooster not doing job

Kkboardman

Chirping
Jan 31, 2024
I have a rooster who is about a year old now. I was worried at first because he didn't seem interested in my hens. Then I saw him do the deed a few times, and once again, he seems uninterested. Like he gets excited, but never actually jumps on top. His legs look red on the side, they have plenty of room, and no treatments of any kind. Any ideas why? Its almost like they dont run away from him, and he gets lazy because its not a game lol

I have a rooster who is about a year old now. I was worried at first because he didn't seem interested in my hens. Then I saw him do the deed a few times, and once again, he seems uninterested. Like he gets excited, but never actually jumps on top. Any ideas why?
Have you tried incubating eggs from your hens? He may be fertilizing only some of your hens, or he may be fertilizing them when you're not looking. It only takes once and then the hens are fertile for 3 wks to a month afterwards.

If the eggs are not fertile (no development after a week of incubation) either the roo is sterile, not doing his job, or the hens don't like him and won't let him do his job. They can remove a deposit afterwards if they don't like the rooster - they may be doing that if they really don't like him. The answer in this case would be rehome the roo or hens, cause the combo isn't working.

Have you tried incubating eggs from your hens? He may be fertilizing only some of your hens, or he may be fertilizing them when you're not looking. It only takes once and then the hens are fertile for 3 wks to a month afterwards.

If the eggs are not fertile (no development after a week of incubation) either the roo is sterile, not doing his job, or the hens don't like him and won't let him do his job. They can remove a deposit afterwards if they don't like the rooster - they may be doing that if they really don't like him. The answer in this case would be rehome the roo or hens, cause the combo isn't working.
Eggs are not fertilized. I have tried incubation and have cracked them open. He only current has 3 hens with him. I have another rooster i hatched so I will try him as soon as he is old enough. Just weird to me that he would start mounting them and appear to stop.

Eggs are not fertilized. I have tried incubation and have cracked them open. He only current has 3 hens with him. I have another rooster i hatched so I will try him as soon as he is old enough. Just weird to me that he would start mounting them and appear to stop.
That is weird. He may have a hormone issue. I would try a different rooster for sure. I had a meatbird rooster that was very large and slow. The only hen he could catch was one fat meatbird hen. So the rest of the hens, most of which were eggers and faster, never got fertilized. It happens.

Back
Top Bottom