Rooster not sleeping on roosts

Him eating layer feed his entire life maybe his problem. All that extra calcium is not good for males or for that matter, females that are not actively laying. That is why quite a good number of members here feed their flocks either All Flock or Flock Raiser with oyster shell available on the side for the active layers.

:goodpost:

Where, in general, are you located?

Here in NC at Southern States the store-brand all-flock feeds (20% protein), is currently about $20 for a 50# bag. Might be worth the distance to shop around for a better price than TSC.

Looks to me like he's molting.

I haven't seen a rooster through a molt yet, but my molting hens seem to want to sleep away from the hub-bub and chaos of the roost while they're all over pinfeathers.

:goodpost:

Where, in general, are you located?

Here in NC at Southern States the store-brand all-flock feeds (20% protein), is currently about $20 for a 50# bag. Might be worth the distance to shop around for a better price than TSC.

Looks to me like he's molting.

I haven't seen a rooster through a molt yet, but my molting hens seem to want to sleep away from the hub-bub and chaos of the roost while they're all over pinfeathers.

I’m located in Maryland and he probably is molting. Last year, I separated the rooster from the hens in order to allow both the hens and rooster completely grow their feathers back before winter.

The closest store that sells chicken feed is Tractor supply and near $30 for a single 50lb bag
Curious what brand and model of feed costs that much.

I’m located in Maryland
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1660241915449.png

I definitely considered that, but the main issue is price. The closest store that sells chicken feed is Tractor supply and near $30 for a single 50lb bag(more than $2 a pound) is a crazy price comparing to the layer feed.
I know this an older thread. But I use DuMor All Flock Pellet 50lb bag from TSC it's a little over $20 a bag. As far as all flock/flock raiser goes it was the best bang for the buck. My TSC doesn't have a ton of options for all flock. The nutrena was not too bad either but the bag was smaller.

Back
Top Bottom